Tracking

neatz

Hi, I have a six month old Vizsla and would like to know if anyone has any tips on training at this age. What behaviours should I encourage and what should I avoid? Also is there anyone interested in meeting up for training sessions in either Broadmeadows region or Frankston region? Or are there any groups who meet in these ares? The dog is bred from excellent field trial lines and it would be a shame not to train her in what seems to come naturally to her. I have sent a line to the tracking club but as I understand it they don't hold training sessions as such, people meet in their own groups throughout melbourne.

The Tracking Club of Victoria are holding a tracking workshop weekend from the 18th to the 20th of April 2008 in Shepparton.

It cost's $160 for the weekend which includes meals for Friday and Saturday and accomodation. There was an ad in the last issue of VicDog.

I attended a Beginners Course in Grafton NSW - to start off with but because there were only a limited number of Courses being run I used the following books (as a guide)

Tracking Dog -Theorty and methods by Glen R Johnson (found this to be a wonderful reference)

The foundations of competitive Working Dogs -Tracking 1 and 2 with Joanne Fleming-Plumb.

My girl has passed her TT and 2 TD2 - one pass of her titile. You can train own your own but you do really need a second person to lay tracks etc.

But the above books are a good reference and can be adapted to Australian conditions etc.

If you want any info about the two DVDs - email me and I will help out.