Burnt Urine Patches On Grass

Hi, Ive been using Dog Rocks for some time now, and they work, but just wondering if anyone knows of any cheaper home remedies that i can try instead. A friend has said that mashed spuds are meant to do the same, but i cant find anything backing up this claim. :rofl: Dog Rocks are around $12 and they work for 6 weeks for me...not a great expense, but it all adds up.

thanks

Anna.

Nothing can bring back any dead grass to life........ :rofl:

However, you can avoid burning the grass by having a watering can handy for in the mornings when your dog does it's first pee - apparently that's when the urine is the strongest and does the damage.

It will also make a difference as to what diet your dog is on - raw fed seems to have less of a problem while dry fed dogs seems to have more of a problem (my experience anyway)........

Other's have suggested a little Apple Cider Vinegar in the drinking water or on food - but you need to start with a tiny amount until your dog gets used to it.

:D

Thanks arty....the apple cider was just the kinda tip i was looking for.

Anyone out there tried this?

Yes - my GSD wont drink the water even if I put a small amount in nor will he drink it with the dog rocks. Perhaps you might have better luck. Have to put up with pee burns......well, I will when we actually have grass. My backyard is a dust bowl, now mud pitt from having a bob cat in to help with renos.

Bring back the pee burns, two big dogs and mud do not mix...

I can sympathise with the dust bowl and two big dogs.... but it hasn't rained here for ages - so I can't remember what the mud is like :rolleyes:

My pair would just try and eat the dog rocks - so it didn't bother buying them..

When I had grass - before I killed it off to renovate - I would put a pinch or two of bi-carb soda in the dogs water bowls. Dogs don't notice it, and no burnt patches... supposed to neutralise the pH or something..

I can sympathise with the dust bowl and two big dogs.... but it hasn't rained here for ages - so I can't remember what the mud is like :rolleyes:

My pair would just try and eat the dog rocks - so it didn't bother buying them..

When I had grass - before I killed it off to renovate - I would put a pinch or two of bi-carb soda in the dogs water bowls. Dogs don't notice it, and no burnt patches... supposed to neutralise the pH or something..

I will try that, planning on laying sir walter very soon. Nice and hardy for 2 big mutts, still burns but not as much as couch. Will not be sorry to see the dust and mud gone..has not rained that much in Brissy until recently, now it has I think I prefer the dust.

I was using dog rocks but also found they didn't last he eight weeks.

I use the Apple Cidar Vinegar however I don't use a tiny bit...I give the bowl of water a ggod dash..maybe 2 tablespoons.

No more burnt spots...and you can tell within a couple of days when I have run out of vinegar!!!

I but it from the Health Food store for around $5.00. It's best to use the organic stuff - the bottle will say it contains "the mother".

Works well here. Duke drinks it without much bother.

I migh just give the bi carb soda a try and se which works better.

Dog urine can burn grass partly because of the pH (which is normally around neutral, but can be slightly acidic or alkaline), but most of the problem is because of the nitrogen content.

The concentrated nitrogen in dog urine affects grass just like fertiliser burn will (and just like with fertiliser burn, you'll sometimes see the grass flourishing madly directly around a dead patch).

From what I've observed, making sure the dog gets lots of moisture in its diet can sometimes help. Getting enough moisture into the dog makes the urine more dilute when it comes out, so it's less likely to burn the grass. For example, feeding all moist food instead of dry food can help. Also encouraging the dog to drink by making his water supply as accessible and as attractive as possible.

For the same reason, watering the urine into the lawn after the dog goes also helps.

I have heard that ACV works well for some people (it didn't ever work for me), I don't know why this works - but I wonder whether some dogs just like the taste of ACV, so adding this to water can encourage the dog to drink more?

Incidentally, studies have shown some types of grass are way more resisitant to dog burns than others, so if it's really bugging you, I guess you could always re-seed your lawn. :thumbsup: