Tamron Lenses

cazzaritch

I am considering buying a camera package from Ebay and the kit contains the follwoing lenses,

Tamron 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 Autofocus Lens

Tamron 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 LD Macro Lens

Has any one used any Tamron lenses, if so, what do you think of them?

This will be my first digital SLR and so I am a total beginner, will these lenses be easy to use?

Thanks

I have a tamron 18-300m lens for my nikon d40. Only problem I have is that the d40s dont have autofocus (its in the lens) and I need autofocus when I am taking photos of dogs at flyball/agility. I ended up buying a nikon lens not long after.

The photos themselves turned out nice though. With a different camera I dont think I would hesitate about using it.

Are you saying Delta charlie that the tamron lens dont have auto focus or that the d40 Nikons dont 'talk' to the lens to autofocus?

The nikon d40 has been designed differently to every other camera in the world lol. Basically to make it much lighter they have taken the autofocus out of the camera. There are some lenses which have been designed with the autofocus in the lens (af-s lenses); these are the ones that need to be used with the d40 if you want af.

My camera will still work with any other nikon lens, I just have to manually focus them.

If you have any other camera then you will be fine with the AF tamron lenses.

Are you saying Delta charlie that the tamron lens dont have auto focus or that the d40 Nikons dont 'talk' to the lens to autofocus?

The nikon d40 has been designed differently to every other camera in the world lol. Basically to make it much lighter they have taken the autofocus out of the camera. There are some lenses which have been designed with the autofocus in the lens (af-s lenses); these are the ones that need to be used with the d40 if you want af.

My camera will still work with any other nikon lens, I just have to manually focus them.

If you have any other camera then you will be fine with the AF tamron lenses.

Thanks again for that. The camera I am considering is a Canon EOS 5D, so I think I will be ok.

Tamron 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 LD Macro Lens

My husband has this lens. It's really, really crap. He upgraded to a Canon 70-200 f4L and it's like night and day. We gave the Tamron to my 14yo daughter to use with an old Canon 10D we have.

Crap features are......lots and LOTS of purple fringing. Not sharp at all. Washed out colours and contrast. Slow, slow, slow to focus, especially at the long end.

If you are buying a Canon 5D, don't settle for anything less than the very best lenses. The reason is the 5D is a full frame sensor and a lot of the cheaper lenses aren't sharp across the whole frame. You can get away with it when you have a camera with a smaller sensor because it effectivly crops off the unsharp parts due to the reduced sensor size. But with the 5D, you get the whole kit and caboodle.....soft edges and all. So don't look at anythling less than Canon's L series, Sigma's EX series or some good quality prime (not zoom) lenses, as primes are always sharper than zooms.

Have you checked quotes from other sellers like D&D and Quality camera Sales (and the warranties)just to see if the price is good bad or indifferent (I'd also ask a few questions about what on earth a third party warranty is and check it with Canon Aust just to be on the safe side)? But then I get worried on the rare occasion paying over $100 for stuff on ebay.

And remember if you buy a 5D you'll need to buy a flash too at some stage as it doesn't have one inbuilt like all the other models.

Have you checked quotes from other sellers like D&D and Quality camera Sales (and the warranties)just to see if the price is good bad or indifferent (I'd also ask a few questions about what on earth a third party warranty is and check it with Canon Aust just to be on the safe side)? But then I get worried on the rare occasion paying over $100 for stuff on ebay.

And remember if you buy a 5D you'll need to buy a flash too at some stage as it doesn't have one inbuilt like all the other models.

The package i am looking at includes a flash also and i do have an old one that i used to use on my fuji

Is it ok for me to post the link to the item on here? Its a copany in America that i am thiking of getting it from.

Will check out the warranty thing too - thanks

ETA as this is a brand new camera, won't it be covered by worldwide warranty with Canon???

Edited by cazzaritch

ETA as this is a brand new camera, won't it be covered by worldwide warranty with Canon???

Lenses have a worldwide Canon warranty, cameras don't. The warranty is with the country your bought it from, so if you're buying from the US and you have a warranty issue, you'll need to send it back there. I buy my camera bodies in Australia but my lenses from B&H in New York. They are wonderful to deal with and I've spent thousands of dollars with them over the past few years.

Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Autofocus Lens

Canon Telephoto EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM lens

These lenses aren't as bad as the Tamron, they are about mid-range for Canon......I probably wouldn't use them on a 5D but they'd be excellent on a 40D.

Don't use an old flash on your camera, you'll likely blow the circuitry. Do some reasearch on Dpreview.com and see what flash units would suit a 5D. I know the Canon EX range does, but not sure about other brands.

If I were you, I'd look very closely at a 40D body, and some top class lenses, or buy the 5D body seperately with one GOOD mid range lens and then add other ones as you need them.