Puppy Weeing Woes

lovelight

I am hoping someone can shed some light on the behaviour of my 5.5 month old stafford (male). We thought we had the toilet training under control - he would scratch on the door or cry to be let outside and do his business. Lately he has started weeing inside for no apparent reason - it is almost like he is trying to defy us! He often does it after he has been outside and sometimes there is very little wee at all. Can anyone suggest why is he doing this and what we should do? Thanks.

He may have a UTI. Make an appointment with the vet and take a sample of his urine in a clean container with you. I would do this ASAP because UTI's are painful.

The small amount of urine would indicate a UTI. He is not trying to defy you. Dogs don't think that way.

Thanks cavNrott - he just did two more wees on the tiles! big ones this time.

He may have a UTI. Make an appointment with the vet and take a sample of his urine in a clean container with you. I would do this ASAP because UTI's are painful.

The small amount of urine would indicate a UTI. He is not trying to defy you. Dogs don't think that way.

Still just get a check up that he doesn't have urinary tract, and then just start your basic toilet training again.

Take outside every half hour to and hour and do that for a couple of weeks. At 5.5 months old they are still learning and you cannot expect too much from them. Maybe he does not fully understand what you mean when you take him outside, so try going back to basics again and do not come back inside until he has gone, and lots of praise when he does go. Also puppies cannot hold on like older dogs. When they need to go they need to go now not in a couple of minutes etc. Good luck and keep plugging away. It will pay off :)

I am hoping someone can shed some light on the behaviour of my 5.5 month old stafford (male). We thought we had the toilet training under control - he would scratch on the door or cry to be let outside and do his business. Lately he has started weeing inside for no apparent reason - it is almost like he is trying to defy us! He often does it after he has been outside and sometimes there is very little wee at all. Can anyone suggest why is he doing this and what we should do? Thanks.

He's not trying to defy you, dogs don't do that.

Perhaps take him to the Vets for a check up, he could possibly have a urinary tract infection. If he's healthy then go back to toilet training, taking him out every hour and that should get him back on track.