Riverland Odc Trials - August 2008

I am heading South for a few weeks R&R in August/September and there is I think a 2 day obedience trial in the Riverland at Berri in August, this fits with where I hope to be "roughly" so I thought it would be good to enter the boyz - anyone planning to be there or know anything about the trials held in Berri SA?

Annie and her boyz

Oh Thanks Katie

I need to know where and when to find the schedule and all that - It will fit in nicely with my trip plans and I have not trialled in SA for years so I thought it might be fun!

Also are there any dog friendly caravan parks close by that you know of?

I believe there is also some sort of caravan camping motorhoming lifestyle week end happening that same week-end at Loxton, does not look too far away and I would like to drop in to that too.

Are your Grey Ones doing the trials?

I hope to be trialling both my 2 lads, Carlin in Open and Clancy in CCD unless he has made it to Novice by then!

Annie and her boyz

I can let you know about the schedule, etc. closer to the date :D.

I believe the local caravan park accepts dogs but I'll double check that for you. You can camp on the grounds, there are toilets/shower facilities but no power. There is catering on the grounds too, breakfast, lunch and snacks and stuff.

Loxton is maybe 30kms from Barmera, easy trip. I never knew about the Recreational Vehicle Expo there. Might look into that myself.

Nope not the greys, I just started trialling with my whippet last year. We're in novice atm.

You're driving down? What an awesome trip!

Edited by Katie w/greys

Oh Thanks Katie

I need to know where and when to find the schedule and all that - It will fit in nicely with my trip plans and I have not trialled in SA for years so I thought it might be fun!

Also are there any dog friendly caravan parks close by that you know of?

I believe there is also some sort of caravan camping motorhoming lifestyle week end happening that same week-end at Loxton, does not look too far away and I would like to drop in to that too.

Are your Grey Ones doing the trials?

I hope to be trialling both my 2 lads, Carlin in Open and Clancy in CCD unless he has made it to Novice by then!

Annie and her boyz

It has been a couple of years since I went to Riverland to trial, it was always a nice relaxed sociable 1 though. When I went there was no camping on the grounds, most of us stayed at Cobdogla Caravan Park about 5 or 6km away. The management there used to be excellent and would allocate us an area out of the way to exercise dogs offleash. I have heard though that it is different management now, so not even sure if they still take dogs but I would give them a call as it is a nice park and not far away.

Hi Katie

You have a Whippet too? Great! How is your Whippie going in obedience? At the moment Clancy (who is usually fairly outgoing and super friendly) is apprehensive of the judge and steward in the ring, he is fine to begin with then seems to 'notice' these people are 'stalking' him and goes into frozen moment!

yes I hope it will be a good trip down - this trip is a bit on the short side only 9 weeks, as opposed to the 7 months we spent on the road in 2006!

I am planning to do 7 - 10 days around eyre peninsular, across to the riverland, down to Meningie to watch the National Retrieving Championships and then over to Victoria to catch up with my friends there for about a week and a bit including the Whippet Championship Show - then we travel home again!

We travel slow and visit all the nice coffee and bakery shops on the way, and all the nice parks for the boyz!

I am really looking forward to the trip!

Annie and her boyz

My boy does pretty well, much better than I do actually. I get pretty nervous in the ring. He's the first dog I've trained so we're learning together.

We got our CCD title and first novice pass in October but haven't trialled since then.

I can just imagine your boy trying to work out why the people are following him around the ring.

Where are the Retrieving Championships being held in Meningie? Lived down that way for a while.

Edited by Katie w/greys

I am not sure which property the Retrieving championships will be held on - I have heard it is very very dry down there so i guess water will have a lot to do with it!

previously trials have been held on 2-3 different properties spaced out along the road that leads out past the caravan park, follow that road out for 10 - 15 k's or so, cannot for life of me recall the name of the place now!

Funny, one of my friends up here is an ex Meningie girl (woman) too!

Yes it is quite funny when Clancy thinks he is being 'stalked' he gives the judge/steward such a look! I have tried walking him around the local shopping centre and all that and he is getting a bit better but still a bit iffy. Trouble is, when i run them in the morning or train during the week we don't see a soul so i guess he thinks something is a bit suspect when there are people around!!

Your Whippet is going very well by the sounds of it, well done!

Annie and her boyz

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hi

Are the scedules out yet for the Riverland Trials.....?

Hmm I guess I am a bit on the early side really, just didn't want to get forgotten!

Annie and her boyz

oohhh... what are the dates??? My parents live in the Riverland... hmm.. might be visiting them then!!

Your trip still going ahead... you are visiting just about all the places I have lived in SA!! hehe...

The towns in the Riverland are all reasonably close together, so you can easily stay at one of the other towns.

• 4 weeks later...

My entries are already inthe envelope and will be posted tomorrow!

I start my drive South next Saturday.....woooohoooo! a holiday!

Only sad about leaving Carlin at home but he will feel safer and happier here on the deck and with familier things around him and o/h to dote on him, just that I will miss him badly.

See you all soon!

Annie and her boyz