Bacterial Infection In 5 Month Old Pup...still Coughing After 6 Weeks

posted some time ago about coughing boxer pups.

my male has gotten better, but the female has gotten worse, then better, then plateau-ed to a dry cough that presents early in the morning, and at nights.

i had her x rayed about 4 weeks ago, which showed an bacterial infection in her lungs. The vet said that it was bronchitis that had NOT yet gotten as bad as pneumonia. All this time the pup is eating normally, and her usual cheerful wiggly self. she's been on antibiotics for a total of about 6 weeks now. (increasing dosages of Clavulox and now Vibravet)

because of this infection, she still hasn't received her second vaccination which was due on the 14th of Feb. Because of this we can't take them anywhere like parks and things like that…or even puppy pre-school.

we were planning a camping trip to a dog friendly campsite this easter and its all been paid f in advance

I am sorry for sounding whiny and complain-y…I’m just really frustrated is all.

should i go to another vet? get a third opinion? this is already the second vet we've been to, as we weren't too happy with the first one.

Suggestions? Tips?

Hugs??

Sigh--

I really don't know.

It seems to have gone on for to long and I think that some other course of treatment needs to be sourced. Maybe she needs a different diet or suppliments.

I would in no way be taking her camping with me. Firstly her immune system is obviously stressed and secondly she hasn't been fully immunised. You would be putting her life at risk by taking her.

thanks puggy puggy!

just an update...took her to the vet last night. her lungs have cleared up considerably, and vet thinks coughing is due to inflammation around the oropharyngeal region. she prescribed codeine to calm the cough down, and some anti-inflammatory for the swelling in there.

she is to be vaccinated on thursday if all is well. :thumbsup:

still not sure about taking them away....

Oh good to here that she is getting better.

I would not be taking her camping. If she is being vaccinated on Thursday that is in no way enough time for her vaccine to work and as I said in my other post her system has been so stressed for a long time she is more sussceptable to picking up anything.

You also have to think of other peoples dogs that may be at the camping ground. Your girl may still be getting rid of her illness so might be putting other dogs health at risk as well.