Skin Condition On Neck

sas

Hmmm, sounds like an expensive nightmare...

Skin conditions can be like that, our dally has lumps on her backlegs, her shoulders and on her sides. As I'm not showing and they aren't bothering her I'm not doing anything about them. Some people say it's the bronzing dallies get but the skin never breaks and they're only lightly coloured. Bronzing indicates a too much protein/purine in the diet, she is on homemade well researched BARF and get's more vegs nowadays then meat (chicken mainly).

Here is a pic:

I haven't read anything to indicate that Dalmatian Bronzing Syndrome has anything to do with protein levels.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Sas - this is interesting reading - Angs has come up all lumpy after his night out camping last week!

What is described in the dally bronzing describes it! Pimply lump which has icky discharge when squeezed, scabs up and then flakes off with the hair!

I have Pyohex lotion to try.

Hey Sas - this is interesting reading - Angs has come up all lumpy after his night out camping last week!

What is described in the dally bronzing describes it! Pimply lump which has icky discharge when squeezed, scabs up and then flakes off with the hair!

I have Pyohex lotion to try.

What you have described could also be a staph infection/secondary skin infection which could have come about from having an initial allergic reaction.

What they call Bronzing Sydrome in Dallies is also seen in other breeds but simply referred so as an infected folicle.

The Pyohex should sort it out if it's bacterial. We use the Pyrohex leave on cream to spot treat areas, sometimes it works other times it doesn't.

With the large amount of rain we have had there are higher levels of fungi in the soil so that can also create issues.

I haven't read anything to indicate that Dalmatian Bronzing Syndrome has anything to do with protein levels.

As far as I remember reading it's an allergic reaction to protein in some dogs.

Edit: Remember where I read it now. A guy in the US, Dr Caroll Weiss (he was involved in the study of Stone disease in Dallies), suspects it's diet related. He says her diet might either be to high in protein or some ingredients in it are allergenic and she's sensitive to those or a case of both.

He suggested to get her urine tested for urinary crystals and abnormal acidity, both of those are a result of high purine/protein diet.

He recommends a change to a hypoallergenic, low purine diet, but that means taking her off BARF, something we're not prepared to do.

Edited by seagate

Wish I had an answer for you...

From when I got my pup, she had a slight rash which increased to little sores, she was itchy!

The vet said bacterial, we got some maleseb & she was also given some tabs(cant remember the name now?)

Nothing worked very well if at all.

I put 1 third cup of olive oil a quick dash of lavender & same with neem oil & put some malaseb in for the lathering part & this has worked the best for her.

She is still itchy (no flea's to be seen) she has scratched her jowls now & she has a few scabbed over small area there, I'm at a loss!!! Its horrible, she is only itchy sometimes, she isnt scratching constantly, but still im not happy!

My vet said also that Staffords can have poor skin, bacterial infections he explained like teenagers acne, & can go when there immune system ages & improves or possibly may never grow out of it.

Big help - Not

:laugh::hug::cry:

Update:

Well we await the 2nd round Blood Allergy testing to come back hopefully on Friday.

Anti-biotics have cleaned the neck up quite a bit, we finish those in 4 days, think he may need to go on them for a wee bit longer though.

Down from 3 Cortisone to 1 every 2nd day in the space of 2 weeks.

Pasterns and Hocks quite Red today but no itching yet *cross fingers*

Zinc & Vit E supplements each day now, started that 2 weeks ago.

3 weeks into a fully raw diet, hoping to start seeing the results of that in the coming 3-4 weeks, although stools are brilliant. Also 2 Deserts spoons of Yoghurt each night which we started 3 weeks ago.

Edited by sas

Update!

We have the blood test allergy results in. If you'd like to talk more about our results compared to results you've had with your dogs pls feel free to touch base.

We'll also be doing the new American test in the future when I have more $$$ and cross reference the results as this test we've just done is apprantely known to be a little faulty and give false positives.

Edited by sas

Are these tests the same as they do on humans?

I have heard that a positive allergy reaction test, does not always mean the person is will manifest an allergic reaction from contact with that substance showing as a positive.

Hi Sas

If you would like to try something new I have a cream for dogs which helps with a variety of skin problems including mange, dermatitis, bacterial and fungal infections. We are about to start selling it to vets and I can give you a sample to try if you like, see if it helps? It contains natural plant oils (I know it sounds airy fairy but I have used it on one of my bitches to totally eradicate demodectic mange and hot spots) and has been used in India for years.

PM me your details if you would like to try a sample :love:

Cheers

Janelle

Hi Janelle,

Can you tell us what the specific plant oils are? As many atopic dogs are in fact allergic to plants and their pollen etc, its very possible that this cream and others similar could actually make the problem worse. I'm sure many people would be interested to give it a try though if its ok for their dogs! Thanks!!

What sas said is true about healthy normal dogs coming back with positive test results. It's really complicated, but basically when the blood/serum is exposed to an allergen, the IgE receptors can still react to it in any dog. However not all dogs show a reaction of being itchy within the skin. You could test every dog and they could come back with a positive, but not all of them have the issue that this reaction causes them to be itchy . They specify that these blood tests do NOT diagnose atopy - you have to be sure that the problem is definately atopy first, by a whole range of trials, so you can be reasonably confident that the results you see are the true culprits as to why the dog is itchy.

For example, see how Dante's results came back positive to chicken, yet he has been on a chicken diet for 3 weeks and the itching has remarkably improved. If the reaction his body has to the chicken made him itchy, he should be eating himself alive on the chicken diet.

Edited by stormie

Hi Sas

If you would like to try something new I have a cream for dogs which helps with a variety of skin problems including mange, dermatitis, bacterial and fungal infections. We are about to start selling it to vets and I can give you a sample to try if you like, see if it helps? It contains natural plant oils (I know it sounds airy fairy but I have used it on one of my bitches to totally eradicate demodectic mange and hot spots) and has been used in India for years.

PM me your details if you would like to try a sample :love:

Cheers

Janelle

Hiya,

It would depend what the plants are as Dante has possible allergies to some plants.

I just had a thought, there is a new cream for human skin conditions called "Invisible Glove" has anybody tried it? The formula is "secret" but it is known to have wheatgerm oil and mostly home remedies.

It would depend what the plants are as Dante has possible allergies to some plants.

The cream contains two plant oils, one is Devadaru (cedrus deodara or Cedar) and the other is Karanja (pongamia glabra or Pongam Tree). These are both similar to Neem oil which you may have heard of before, and all three are commonly used in Indian and Asian natural medicines for animals and humans, and because it is non-toxic it can be used on pups. This cream has many uses such as to eradicate mange (sarcoptic and demodectic), in wound management as it is an anti-bacterial, for treating fungal infections like Ringworm as well as inflammatory and allergic skin conditions. I have used it for treating localised demodectic mange and Hot Spots in my dogs and it is fantastic, only downside is the colour and smell, its kind of like betadine in a way but is fantastic (hence the reason we are bringing it to Australia!).

Hope this info helps, I can send you a sample if you have exhausted all other avenues :hug:

Cheers

Janelle

Edited by nellybly10