Smallest In Litter?

chugo101

Oh, also, if anyone can advise of what paperwork I need to make sure the breeder supplies us with, that would be great too.

Does the vet actually give them a report of some description when they get the puppies checked?

Also registration papers?? Copies of the hip/elbow and eye results??

We want to go with a list to ensure we have copies of all the right things.

Thanks guys

Na, the Vet doesn't give a report, but if you want to check to make sure the dogs been checked you can call them.

Copies of Hip/Elbow/Eye results, I'm guessing you mean of the parents? These don't usually get given to you as you don't actually need them, but if the Breeder has stated that these tests have been done you can ask to see them and perhaps ask for a copy. If the Breeder didn't mention about the tests, they may not have done them, not all Breeders do.

Registration Papers: Sometimes these haven't come back from the controling body by the time you pick up your puppy, if they haven't, you'll get sent them.

The Breeder should give you the Vaccination certificates that will have the mircochip number sticker on them, they should also give you a puppy pack containing feed information and sometimes training information etc.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, I recently picked up 2 labrador puppies, one of which was the smallest in the litter. We chose him because he had the most beautiful personaility. I have had them a month now and the smallest has already caught up in size to the other pup. I would not worry about your pup being the smallest and I personally think the personality is more important.

With regard to paperwork. I would ask if not supplied copy of parents papers, and copy of certificates of elbow, hip scores and clear eye certificates.

You should have microchip transfer of ownership completed to transfer ownership to you when you pick up your puppy. Vaccination card (and worming dates). (I did not get a health report from vet) Your breeder should also give you details of the food the pups have been on (and if pup is not on a premium food I would recommend you slowly switch her on to one as the first 18months of growth are so important, especially with a large breed dog like a lab)

From my first 4 weeks of experience I would also highly recommend a crate and puppy play pen. It will give you a secure place for puppy to sleep and play when you can't be watching her (I need eyes in the back of my head to keep track of the toileting and chewing and the crate is a god send when I can't keep watch) (and is totally transportable when you go visiting/holidaying)

Good luck with your new baby and would love to see a photo. (unfortunatly I'm not clever enough to know how to attach one here)

Thanks for this, I've made a note of the paperwork I need to ensure I get.

The pups are being reared on a BARF diet at the mo and its whether we stick to this or try to swap onto a dry food. I've bought some of the Dr B's BARF frozen patties but really I was hoping to put her onto something like Eagle Pack Holistic for Large/Giant breed puppies or maybe a mix of the two.

What are you feeding? Any idea whether its best to gradually change diet or just do it straight away? I'm just worried about over/under feeding.

Plus in the morning when I go out to do school drop off & aerobics I'm out for 2 hours so thought maybe dry food in a treat ball would be a good way to give her, her first meal of the day to occupy her while I'm out?

We've got a puppy pen and I'm preparing myself for some hard work! :)

You should really only feed what the Breeder has been feeding the dog, because it'll save up tummy upsets when settling in as well as the Breeder knows best as to what diet the dogs develop the best on.

If the diet is crap that they've given you, then doing some research on what is a suitable diet for your breed as different breeds require different protein % etc.