Barko And Uncle Albers Dry Feed.

Hi there i notesed a few posts about this dry feed BARKO and UNCLE ALBERS it comes in a 22kg bag it is know $28.50 per bag where i bye it i have been using this dry food for about 4 to 5 years know i use it on my pups the pups realy do well on the Barko combined with the meat that i use in STEWS that i cook up and dogs as well i feed stews with meat vegetables vitams calcium livermol codliveroil.I also feed it to my boxer he loves it combined with meat or a nice stew.

I bought one bag of Uncle Albers and would never buy it again.

Our dogs wouldn't eat it until they were starving hungry and even then they only picked at it.

The ingredients list did sound promising:

(Listed in order of quantity)

Meat

Fish

Animal fat

Cereal

But when you actually look at the stuff, the quality seems pretty poor. ;)

To me looking at the food it looks decent quality - not nice shapes like most kibble but very dense and very little cereal, it's also not a dry kibble.

Tho i guess it all comes down to what you lie and what your dogs like :laugh: So far my two GSD's are eating it happily and are still looking good - so while that continues they'll stay on it :vomit:

• 2 weeks later...

One of the things i've noticed with this food is that i have to feed a lot less to my dogs for the same result - comparing against premium high energy foods as well.

Sabre even blows drool bubbles while waiting to be given the go-ahead to eat :laugh:

JMO but i do tend to think you get what you pay for. Super premium foods made from high quality ingredients obviously cost more to produce and therefore cost more to buy. $28.50 for 22kg makes me wonder how they do it for the price- i would be suspicious of there ingredients and the quality of them personally.

We have fed both on occasions, Uncle Albers, not keen on it, nor were the dogs, but Great Barko they loved and did really well on it, we mainly fed it inbetween moving interstate as having barf and bones was near impossible. Even my "fussy, have to have the best" ate it and did well on it, though it does tend to put weight on.........

Still don't think anything beats BARF diet though.

JMO but i do tend to think you get what you pay for. Super premium foods made from high quality ingredients obviously cost more to produce and therefore cost more to buy. $28.50 for 22kg makes me wonder how they do it for the price- i would be suspicious of there ingredients and the quality of them personally.

Well...for starters there are no import costs, no huge advertising campaigns, no specific promoters/reps to pay etc etc. There's actually not much in they way of fillers in it either - and looking at the kibble itself you can see the difference.

I'd not necessarily say it's a 'super premium dry food' (and having worked for Royal Canin i know the difference between the levels) but i'm willing to say it's a great food and my dogs are doing very well on it at this point - and i'd be willing to recommend it. But as it says in my sig...the best food for your dog yadda yadda yadda :rolleyes:

Oh don't get me wrong Kitkat, i agree with you 100%. Feed what works best for you and your dogs and its great to recommend to others what you thinks good. Having said that i know people who think pal and chum are great and they work well for there dog, but no way in hell i would ever feed that or recommend it. Despite having no import costs, advertising champagne and reps to pay i don't think it would be of the quality that other brands are. As you say yourself you would not call it "super premium". I would always suggest to someone start at the top and if cost is an issue work your way down from there. I'm not saying that food is complete crap and I'm glad it works for you and your dogs Kit Kat, but i believe there is better available. Just giving my opinion on the topic :)