Best Kind Of Crate?

Gerda the Schnauzer

I have my American Staffy in the deals direct crate and its perfect. Mind you he never put up much of a fuss because the crate is right next to my bed at night :) Seems pretty sturdy though.

I have recently purchased two crates. One from Petitude on Ebay, the other from some other mob on ebay. Both are identical. Both are the same as the deals direct ones and I am very pleased with them.

The side opening door on them makes it easier to put them in the loungeroom because they fit along a wall and don't stick out so far for the door to open. They are very sturdy and strong. My only criticism would be that I'd like two latches on the door, but that is a minor detail and nothing that a couple of snap hooks won't fix.

I currently have my two Stafford puppies sleeping together in one and my older Stafford bitch sleeping in the other, occasionally with her American Cocker mate and they are plenty roomy enough.

I will be purchasing more....can never have too many good crates!

hi there i do the same thing that noodlenut does with our new chi puppy she has her hard plastic crate inside her playpen. our 12 month old chi had the same he now has a soft crate which is huge for when he goes to bed but still has his hard crate for the car. i find that the hard crates for us work well as i can secure both pups in the back seat of the car inside their crates however it is probably easier for me to do this as they are only little dogs. i think whatever you decide as it was mentioned before make sure its big enough for when they are an adult that way it is familiar to them. good luck

I got my wire crate from Deals Direct. I got the larger one (Im getting a Golden Retriever). It isn't the 'best quality' one you can get, but it sure is sturdy enough if it is just to use around the house. The only down side is that it only has 1 door (some have 2), but for me that is fine. I will use a divider while the pup is small to help with toileting.

Another thing to consider is a playpen... try bunnings in the compost isle. The compost cages sell for about $20 - prob grab 2 and put them together - much much cheaper than you will find anywhere else for a play pen.

Edited by Bailey9

I also bought mine off eBay,

Ditto ... black wire crate also bought from Ebay mine was a great price and I also bought a crate cover too. I was able to pick up too from the seller I had (close to me and in Melbourne ... let us know where you are and then it is easier to direct you to the right place) so saved on the delivery costs. I also bought a few other things from this seller .. all good quality and no problems at all with the transaction. The buyer I used was 'PuppyPower'

Here is my crate and the crate cover that I bought .. took some shots tonight to show another DOL (different thread)

I'm glad this question was asked too and am very interested in all the replies. Noodlenut, did you get the bed or mat that goes with the crate or did you use your own? The Puppy Power store on ebay looks great.

ETA your "noodle" looks gorgeous!!

Edited by mrmac

Can anyone post the direct link for the DD crate i cannot find it =s

So I'm not the only one! Maybe they're not selling them atm because I couldn't see any crates on their site either :laugh:

I had a look too, couldn't see them on there. I ordered mine about a month ago. Perhaps send them an email and see if they are getting anymore in. The one I got was "PH0057 Dog Home - Galvanised Portable - 104 x 63 x 71cm" $59.90 incl postage Aust wide. Hope that helps. Was the cheapest I found by far once postage was added.

I know there hasn't been much good said about the soft crates so far (I was about to buy one tomorrow actually!) so now I'm a bit lost as to what to do. K9+ soft crates (like this one here http://cgi.ebay.com.au/K9-ROYALE-SOFT-DOG-...QQcmdZViewItem) sound really good.

I like the idea that they fold up and are light enough to carry and take on holidays etc. We won't need one for travelling as we'll have a station wagon and doggy harness in the car.

Has anyone bought one of the K9+ crates and what do they think?

• 2 weeks later...

i coudlnt beleive it. in the heart of adelaige, under rundle mall there is a petshop (adelaidians know the one, harris scarfe) and they have the typical plastic ones but they also had the proper wire crates in yesterday, and i asked. they said tehy have them in regularly. i didnt bother asking the price as i was in a hurry. i know ther is another on north terrace, just before it turns into magill road. huge dog shop there.

Hi all,

Just resurrecting this thread, as I've noticed a few similar questions aroung the board.

Also very annoyed with myself for not getting the Dealsdirect one when I asked this! Now they are out of stock....! Just going to have to go with Ebay, but that's ok.

:happydance:

Redmum - Dealsdirect have them on on a semi-regular basis, but they sell out quite quick. Might be worth phoning them to ask when the next lot are coming??