Bovine Colostrum

Are you talking fresh/frozen or powdered?

Fresh would be straight off-farm. If you have any dairy farms within range that would be your best bet. It can be frozen successfully.

Powdered, I have no idea. Some companies buy it straight off farm and use it in nutritionals - baby milk powders and growing up milk powders etc.

Try a rural / farm supplies store. Bovine colostrum is also used for colostrum deprived piglets - 2 brand names are "Resus" and "Biocol".

ETA: if you give a general idea of your location, people may be able to give you more specific suggestions.

Out of curiousity - what do you need it for?

Edited by Gallomph

Hi, my dog has mast cells (tumours) and i was told it may be beneficial.

I am in the Darwin area.

I am also giving her some other supplements. She has got quite a bit of energy at the moment.

Cheers, Jedda

PS i have a thread in the palliative care sub forum. I am new to this site and have found it to be very helpful. ;)

Afraid I'm not familiar with Darwin, but if you can't find any rural supplies stores, there are several that are online. eg "Country Vet" "DHA Rural" "Think Pig"

The colostrum powder is pretty expensive though. Might be more feasible to try to locate a dairy farm on the outskirts of Darwin?

Hi, i did see that greenpet website. There was another site i found, had 500g for about $60. But do you think i can find it now. Will have a bit more of a look over weekend and then choose an option. Thankyou very much for your responses.

Cheers, Jedda :laugh:

In terms of the benefits of bovine colostrum, the best thing about it is it a highly digestible (albeit expensive) form of protein, carbs, fat & Vit A, and can line the stomach, reducing nausea. Some promote the benefits of Immunoglobulins but I would hope they also offer a free set of steak knives :laugh:

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Is there anything else you would recommend?

Jedda, do you mean in terms of Immunoglobulins? The problem is that they are proteins and are broken down by stomach acids and digestive enzymes into their respective amino acids in the stomach and small intestine. They then become like any other amino acid and are absorbed through the gut epithelium. In the young animal (up to 24h old and somewhat up to 48h), the digestive enzymes are inhibited and the gut epithelium is able to absorb them as whole proteins. Plus, even if they could be absorbed, they tend to be species specific so I can't see that they would be of much help, even in a very young animal.

Bovine colostrum is certainly a rich source of nutrients but I imagine you could supply them in an excellent quality diet, which I'm sure you're already doing. I don't know enough about diets and tumours to comment any further - best wishes to your girl :confused: Sorry to be such a wet blanket - just hate to see people getting ripped off :laugh: