Hand Signal Dictionary

What sort of techniques are you using to teach the dog? Some methods ie. luring, creates the hand signals automatically.

Food luring with a clicker to mark at the moment.

And yes - my basic hand signals have evolved form the lures...typical sit and down signals...

My 'recall' signal (if you can call it that) is to bend at the waist with my hands on my knees. It kind of evolved from patting my thighs - haha ) - need to change that to the 'open arms' signal. His recalls aren't fantastic yet - he's a bit unreliable, smells can be too interesting...he does sit in front of me when he comes back though. Oh - and he's only 3 month old so I guess I can't expect TOO much.

Stand - I still have to lure at the moment but I may change to physically prompting via a finger in the groin coupled with a better hand signal... At the moment the signal looks like I'm pulling him up on a string (a la luring with food in hand), but he always takes a step or two forward...It's a move I need to think about a bit. I've got a few training DVDs I need to watch.

So much to do, so few hours in the day :laugh:

Oh okay...sorry I wasn't aware.

I still think you should keep it as simple as possible and only teach one thing at a time, ensuring your signals don't look too similar.

One of my problems is I'm too eager.

Guest Tess32

OT but is your trainer good for trialling? I want some one on one sessions but can't find ANYONE, heh.

OT but is your trainer good for trialling? I want some one on one sessions but can't find ANYONE, heh.

In short, no.

I think she's a pretty good trainer (Delta, so almost entirely positive) and seems to have pretty good chops.

I'm using her mainly for basic obedience, help with my clicker technique and help with behavioral issues.

I'm yet to find a training organisation that I'd be entirely happy taking my pup to. I've seen a few classes and lots of leash jerking.

I'm relying a lot on what I'm learning from books, DVDs and the internet.

At this stage, I think I'm going to do an 18 session course with my Delta trainer, then join a trialling club when Barkly is around 9 months old.

If you find a good trainer with trialling experience, who uses a clicker and is mostly positive, is in Melbourne and would like to earn a healthy hourly rate, let me know :D

Guest Tess32

Bugger :D

I've looked but can't find anyone. I don't really need anyone yet as we are not remotely close to trialling but would be nice to have someone along the way.

I know people say to go to clubs and find someone whose style you like etc but I'd feel more comfortable approaching someone who offers private home lessons.

Ew. How annoying. I wish I had known what the generic signals were before I started on mine. I think the hardest thing for me to change (if I do end up changing) is retraining myself and to get myself out of the habit. ARGH!

There should be a sticky of all the generic hand signals IMO!

Edited by Tatelina

Ew. How annoying. I wish I had known what the generic signals were before I started on mine. I think the hardest thing for me to change (if I do end up changing) is retraining myself and to get myself out of the habit. ARGH!

There should be a sticky of all the generic hand signals IMO!

I tend to use the ones here: http://www.bordercollierescue.org/breed_ad...niCommands.html as posted by 4 PAWS