Help! Introducing New Chi Puppy To Very Spoilt Dog

charlies_mum

hi everyone our very spoilt male chihuahua charlie (who celebrated his first birthday yesterday) is about to get a baby sister, a chihuahua from the same mother and father charlie came from. charlie is desexed but he gets quite jealous if other dogs come up to me or my husband. we dont have children so charlie has been our only "baby" for 12months. my question is how do we introduce the two puppys? is it better to take charlie back to the breeders when we pick up milly or is it better not to remind him where he came from will this mean he will miss his mum all over again if he meets her again?

and charlie normally spends the day outside if we are at work so should i seperate them and keep her inside in her puppy pen especially since its winter. and what are the best ways to introduce them so they get along well because that is why we are wanting a second dog so charlie can have a playmate so we really want them to get along. also she will be going to the same puppy school as charlie and the trainer there has said charlie is welcome to come back with her should we take him too? any advice will be greatly accepted

cheers

With your question on the best way to introduce them, most people say it is best for new dogs to meet on neutral ground, so like at a park or something. Your older dog may feel the need to protect his home if the initial introduction is done on your property. Though guessing the new pup is only about 8 wks, so will not have had all the vaccinations yet - so taking them to the local dog park is not recommended. Do you have a friends place nearby that you know has not had any unknown dogs that may not be vaccinated wandering through their yard?

Im sure you'll get many helpful suggestions on here

Edited by Bailey9

Something I read ages ago, which I've already repeated on DOL somewhere, but here it is again!

When you first get the puppy, give your existing dog 75% of your attention. Your "old" dog is used to all your attention, while the puppy is used to sharing with their siblings, so the puppy isn't put out by this. Of course, most people do the opposite, as the puppy is so cute and new! Poor "old" dog is in the background feeling left out...

The rational is it prevents your existing dog from getting jealous and reassures them that they aren't being replaced by the newbie...

Something I read ages ago, which I've already repeated on DOL somewhere, but here it is again!

When you first get the puppy, give your existing dog 75% of your attention. Your "old" dog is used to all your attention, while the puppy is used to sharing with their siblings, so the puppy isn't put out by this. Of course, most people do the opposite, as the puppy is so cute and new! Poor "old" dog is in the background feeling left out...

The rational is it prevents your existing dog from getting jealous and reassures them that they aren't being replaced by the newbie...

I agree with this. As cute as the new puppy is... the old dog is not used to sharing you, so don't give him any reason to think he gets less attention with the new dog around. Also make sure that you give the old dog is food bowl before the pup gets hers to reassure the old dog that his place in the 'pecking order' is not under threat.

Good luck with your new puppy. Mine comes home in 4 weeks.... I can't wait, has been quite a few years since I've had a puppy!!

thanks everyone for your help. i wont have any trouble giving charlie all the attention he wants as i am just so in love with him and his beautiful personality. can anyone help me out with the question about taking him to his breeders house to pick up the new pup?

cheers

what has your breeder said to do, im a chi breeder.

few helpful hints knowing the breed well.

when we get new dogs or pups, they are frigtened coming to a new house, so to avoid scary the beejesus out of your new girl, i suggest to let Charlie see his new sister, but through a glass door or through a pen where he can't bite her if he feels the need to. some of them get carried away with new dogs or pups in the house. you have to watch your new girl for the first few days up to a week with Charlie. then gradually while you hold her and someone hold charlie introduce them together. Chihuahuas are adaptable little fellows and will quickly get acquainted and thefact that you have a male and female, more so. He has had your attention totally for the last 12 months so yes, he might get a bit territorial thats understandable.....chihuahuas are very much pack orientated so get on better with a heap and also i have found over the years, they get on well with other animals even when you house them together! like cats when they had not even seen a cat before. (had a litter of kittens i saved from being put down).....

i'd wait until charlie calms down and stops barking at his new sister, or stops trying to dominate her, then i let them in together otherwise do keep them supervised with possibly two people holding each dog......

they should get on fine eventually but it will take time.

in answer to your question of taking charlie back, yes, i believe that will confuse him.....they have good memories. and plus, you will have other dogs barking at him and encouraging him to have ill feelings about the new addition. JMHO on the matter.

good luck/. im sure everything will work out great.

Louisa

SANRITA CHIHUAHUAS

Edited by toydogs