Throwing Up After Eating Or Drinking

Hi all

My male frenchie (7 this year) has me a slight bit concerned. In the last couple of weeks he has started throwing up after eating (usually brekkie) or drinking (mainly after a pretty big drink). It doesn't happen on a regular basis... maybe once every 3 days. There is not normally any food in it (if he's just eaten), just seems to be really watery.

I put yoghurt into his food last week and it stopped, so I thought it was just an upset tummy, but he threw up (on the OH) on Friday morning and on the floor about 20mins ago.

Other than the vomit he seems his normal self. None of the poos in the backyard seem abnormal.

Any suggestions on what I could do to stop this... or should I be heading to the vet?

Our female frenchie is going to the vet for acupuncture on Wednesday, so I'm thinking of booking him an appointment as well.

Is he actually vomiting or just regurgitating excess food/water?

Vomiting is usually when the stomach contracts and the dog will often hunch over to bring up what ever is making them feel unwell.

Regurgitating is just like a burp with excess water - my boy does this all the time but there is a reason and we know about it.

I would suggest a visit to the vet to make sure there is nothing wrong - better to keep our furries safe.

Good luck

Zero throws up after drinking too fast - vet checked it out and said it's probably got something to do with the amount of scar tissue in his stomach (he was abused) and that it was fine.

I would be asking your vet about it...

Thanks for the advice... I'll book him in for Wednesday.

Staffyluv - there is rarely / never any food in it. Seems to be watery, slimy and a bit frothy. He's also very silent... no normal dog vomit noises.

Pretty easy to clean up, he's normally licked it all back up before I even realise it's happened. :laugh:

Well, we've been to the vet and she said he appears to be in very good health and the vomiting had her a bit perplexed. So, he's going onto a diet of boiled chicken and rice with a probiotic mixed in for a couple of weeks and if this stops the up-chucks we can start to reintroduce his normal food and see what happens.

Due to the inconsistency of the vomits and she thought it could be due to an acid build up in his tummy overnight. If he doesn't stop the next step is to do a general blood work-up and check for any issues.

On a side note, I got her to look at a weird lump that's turned up over the last few weeks on his third eyelid. We've got anti-inflamatory drops for the next week and if it doesn't go away they want to operate and remove it... just in case it's a sun cancer.

I am having the same issue with my SCWT..but she often won't throw up till the next morning..this morning she threw up a big load of dry food and last week she threw up twice over several days and there was dry food in that too..i am wondering if it's time for a diet change?