Veterinary Behaviourist Brisbane

gsdog2, I was put off by Dr Cam Day when the price was explained to me. Not so much the price (I ended up spending over $200 with Jane Harper), it was more the 30 min consult at a fixed price and then so much per minute after that. There was no guarentee my consult would only last 30mins, so I wasn't happy with that kind of pricing structure.

If you don't have any success next week, I could ask my vet for you, as she has mentioned a couple of vet behaviourists to me previously... but I never wrote the names down.

I was under the impression that it was shadow chasing that was the issue. What is actually happening with the stand for exam?

No, we cope with the shadow chasing. It was worse when he was younger, now we make an effort to avoid situations which might set him off. So, not exactly fixed, but then again not intense as was the case when he was younger. I mention the shadow chasing only to point out the fact that he has that type of personality.

When being examined in the Stand for Exam he will give a very subtle growl (I don't even hear it as it is so soft). The examiner (male or female) will tell me they heard it. The following week he won't make a sound. There are no other signs (flattened ears, fast tail wagging or stiff tail etc). I have had a number of trainers give me advice, some are not sure whether he is just vocalising or if it is a sign of "aggression" (I don't like to use that word because I'm not a behaviourist who might know what's going on in his head). He does stand still, but to me his eyes say he's nervous. One of the trainers discovered that he is comfortable with an examination if he is lead TO the examiner and not the examiner approaching him. In those circumstances they can give him a thorough examination and he is completely comfortable with it. So I ask examiners to reward him with food, I reward him with food and heaps of praise, but somehow we don't seem to be able to get past that point :D

Sparky I intend to tell him when I go in that I am only there for the 30 minute consult, and whether he's figured out what's wrong or not we finish at that point. I would love to know your vets suggestions if I have no joy on Tuesday.