Joint Supplements

Hi Guys

just thought i would ask - ive done a few searches and come up with a bit of info about what people are using but do people generally wait until there is a problem before feeding suppliments.

My boy had his hips and elbows scored when he was 12 months and they are good but hes now 4 which is kinda middle aged for an akita and ive been thinking about what i might need to do to help him age reasonably well.

He currently spends quite alot of time sleeping on ceramic tiles, as does Rogue but im in the process of making them both raised, high denisty foam beds, not soft comfy types as they wouldnt use them if they are too hot to lie on but something that i hope will be a bit easier on their bones.

im also hoping Rogue is past eating a foam bed....but we'll see!!

they both eat tinned tuna, ACV, raw meaty carcasses and red bones and a small serve of quality kibble daily.

Is there anything else i should be doing or thinking about for the future?

I have always been reccomended to start feeding joint supplements at around 5 years of age. My girl was started on glucosamine/chondroiton when she was 6yo and at almost 8 years old she still races around like a younger dog. She is fed a very similar diet to your your boy :laugh:

Edited by aquaticmalamute

thx guys - it looks like i might wait a bit before adding suppliments, if around 5yo is a good time to start :)

he recently had the 3 yr vaccine (i dont like yearly vaccines) so is covered for kenneling etc so hopefully he wont need too much more in the next few yrs :birthday: