Stopping Pup Toileting Everywhere

Cherob

This is proving to be a major issue now. It doesnt matter how many times we all take her outside and when she does toilet outside is praised she is still toileting on everything in the house. She pees on my rugs, carpet, pillows, quilts, tiles and anything else she can get on. I can walk down one end of the house and she follows me and then walks into a room and urinates even if she has just been outside. I was at the pet shop yesterday and even bought some of those puppy pads which i swore i would never do but if she goes on them its much easier to clean up then her going on everything else and having to find it.

She gets to go outside every 1/2 hour to hour and she isnt interested in toileting as she is too interested in me, i tend to just walk out onto the grass and stand there so i am not exciting her in any way and she can listen to her own body but all she does is want to be on top of my feet. After meals, after sleep she is taken outside as well.

I really need some extra advice as my washing machine is constantly on right now!!

I'm a new puppy owner so certainly no expert....I have read a lot of books though!

Sounds like crate training is the way to go.

Buy a crate, keep the puppy in the crate whenever you can't watch her every single second - if you take your eyes of her for a microsecond, you can miss the signs of being about to toilet. If you can't watch her every microsecond - she should be in her crate.

How old is she?

Continue to take her out periodically - 1/2 hourly is too frequently - she hasn't learnt that going out means it's toilet time. The too frequent attempts are counterproductive. Base the frequency on her age.

When it's time to take her out for toilet - take her out...give your toilet cue..."Quick quick", "Wee Wee"...whatever. Continue cueing every 15 seconds or so. If she sits on your feet...move away, if she sits on them again, move away, etc, etc. Wait 2minutes, if she doesn't go...back to the crate for 15 minutes. Then out again. Eventually she WILL go outside...'cos she WON'T go in her crate (you hope). Work with that.

Edited by Luke W

If i can remember she is just short of 12 weeks now.

Crate is arriving on the weekend so will start her with that but because she freaks out away from me i am hoping she takes to it just fine!! Slowly but surely is the way to go.

She is a ETT if that makes any difference

The reason she gets to go out so often is because i am outside doing things so she is allowed to come too.

Luke W is right, crate training sounds like the way to go. Worked wonders for my hard to toilet train Samoyed, 5 months and he finally gets the message :)

It is also possible that because you are outside doing things that she is over stimulated and thinking about playing and hanging around with you instead of going to the toilet.

Sounds like you need to work on the crate training as well as dealing with the early signs of seperation anxiety.

Have you read Ian Dunbar - Before You Get Your Puppy - highliy recommened - download it here: http://www.siriuspup.com/beforebook.html

I'd highly recommend ordering either the Dunbar Before and After book from Amazon - or Gwen Bailey The Perfect Puppy.