Help! Introducing A New Dog

I have a 7 month old German Shepherd girl. Recently we have been worried about her mental health as she is the kind of dog that requires a lot of attention. Not necessarily hands on, interactive attention, but she just wants to be around us; whether it be sitting watching me cook in the kitchen, or watching the telly with us. A few weeks ago, we noticed that she was getting increasingly upset and desperate to see us when we got home from work. She would throw herself at the back door, and get herself into such a state that when we did let her in she would wet herself. We have always been careful to avoid loud, overly exciting returns home, in order to avoid, as much as possible, seperation anxiety... But she was getting obviously more and more anxious about being left alone. My husband and I both work full time, so she is on her own up to 10 hours a day, 5 days a week - We knew this would be the case, so we have always provided her with toys and mental stimulation while we were at work. We take her to obedience training on the weekends. We also have family members with farms and lots of other dogs, so we take her there as much as is practical. In short, she is rarely away from us on the weekends. Anyway - to cut a long story short, we made the decision last week to get another dog. We had always planned to get another one, but it's been pushed forward in order to avoid a sick German Shepherd.

We have purchased a 1 year old Labrador dog named Toby from the RSPCA. Kai and Toby have been introduced onsite at the RSPCA, prior to his purchase, but I would like some advise on the best way to bring him home and re-introduce them on Kai's territory. We thought that it may be best if we take them both to a local park and introduce them there, then walk them back onto the property together - But if anyone has some methods that have worked for them, we are VERY open to suggestions.

Thanks Everyone - Siobhan

Hey, I introduced my dogs in a neutral park and walked them back together. My existing dog is very dog-reactive, so I walked him in circles toward the new dog, while making praising noises. The circling is, afaik, not as threatening as meeting face to face.

Probably do well to feed them seperately, and I don't know if you can spend time with them over the next few days, but I was keen to supervise them as much as possible, while they got used to each other.

Lots of treats and pats and praise for both dogs.

Hey, I introduced my dogs in a neutral park and walked them back together. My existing dog is very dog-reactive, so I walked him in circles toward the new dog, while making praising noises. The circling is, afaik, not as threatening as meeting face to face.

Probably do well to feed them seperately, and I don't know if you can spend time with them over the next few days, but I was keen to supervise them as much as possible, while they got used to each other.

Lots of treats and pats and praise for both dogs.

Thanks for your reply - Unfortunately, it's not an ideal situation to be bringing him home. We will be there obviously all night the day he comes home, but we are both unable to be home the following day. I think I may ask my mother and father in law to check on them during the day... Another less than ideal situation is that we are going away this weekend and both dogs will be going into a kennel. We have been assured by our trainer that it will be ok, because they will bond more quickly due to the unfamiliar situation for both of them. I still have my reservations though...

I recommend you taking them for a long walk together when you bring the new dog home - that way you can control the interaction and by the time they get home you'll have a few quiet hours with them.

And the next morning, if you must leave them together, i would be taking them for another long walk so they're tired for the day. If you can have someone check on them during the day that would be a good idea just to make sure that they're not getting up to anything they shouldn't be, and to monitor their play.

If your trainer is recommending certain things i would be listening if you trust them.

Personally I wouldn't leave them alone unsupervised until you're sure that they're going to get on, chances are that everything will be fine, but if something goes wrong and there's no one there you could have big problems. It would have been a better idea to bring the new dog home on a Friday evening and then spend the entire weekend watching them interact, one night just isn't long enough IMO. I would also have reservations about kenneling them, the new dog is coming from the RSPCA to a new home and then getting put into kennels, not an ideal situation and very unsettling for the dogs, both of which will already be suffering stress as a result of the changes in their lives.

ETA that I've just read your other topic and if I were you I'd kennel them separately if you must go away and leave them.

Edited by Miranda