Vaccinations

Hi,

I just took our rescue dog for her second vaccination, Its a little bit over due, but we assumed thaat she would of already been vacccinated as she had been sterilized, so wasnt too stressed. It cost $76.00 for a C5.

I was wondering what others pay... I thought this was expensive, we are going to a new vet, because we have moved areas.

Thanks in advance

Sarah

Yes $75 is about normal give or take a few dollars.

Last time I looked my vet charges $69 for C5.

Vaccinations is one thing that you could shop around for. RSPCA vet clinics and teaching vet clinics are a bit cheaper when it comes to things like this.

As for her being a rescue and presuming she had already been vaccinated. You will probably find that she was vaccinated whilst in rescue but as she probably had no history of her vaccination records she would be treated like a puppy and the C5 she just had with you was her booster.

Shes a I found her rescue, local council couldnt be bothered, we looked for owners, and when no-one claimed she stayed, so it wasnt through an agency as such.

I just gathered that if someone went through the hassle of sterilizing her (she also has a docked tail, and shes a staffy x ridgback) to start with, they would of vaccinated, but Im doing this to be safe, as Im about to bring a new puppy home and just doing it as a preventitive.... Shes about 18mths

Was shocked when we went to paid, as we got C5, Heartworm and an ointment for her ears as she has some infection (only a little one, but enough to make her shake her head a bit)

Thats why im playing it safe and getting her vacc's up to date

Im pretty sure she was given a heartworm injection when we took her into the original vets, as she was found in a pretty wild area, and there was a dead, half eaten kangaroo not that far from her, and that was the vets main concern. But I have no record of it, so when this vet asked, i mentioned it to her and she said to give her another as a precautionary method.

Guest Tess32
Thats why im playing it safe and getting her vacc's up to date

Im pretty sure she was given a heartworm injection when we took her into the original vets, as she was found in a pretty wild area, and there was a dead, half eaten kangaroo not that far from her, and that was the vets main concern. But I have no record of it, so when this vet asked, i mentioned it to her and she said to give her another as a precautionary method.

Best to avoid the heartworm injection in the future....they can be very dangerous.

i agree with Tess32- avoid the heartwom injection at all costs

Either go with daily Dimmitrol or something like Sentinel but whatever you choose the dog must have a bood test for heartworm( if over 6mths of age) prior to commencing any preventative).

I have only ever paid around the $50 mark for vaccinations( that was for Nobivac 3 yearly for C3 and intra-nasal for the KC component)