Have We Undone All Our Hard Work?

KarriLab

We trained our now 16 week old lab puppy to sleep in her crate with the door closed from the day she arrived home. Recently though, she's had a few nights with an upset tummy and she cries to be let out during the night. We get up, she does her business then she goes straight back to bed. This was happening 2-3 times a night so we thought we'd try moving her crate outside (which has a canvas cover), adding more warm blankets and a hot water bottle, and leaving the door open so she can take herself to the toilet. Well, its worked a treat. She happily goes into her crate, and settles down straight away. We don't hear a peep from her till we get up the next morning.

She seems to be happy sleeping outside with the crate door open, BUT I'm wondering if we've just undermined the principles of crate training? Does the door of the crate have to be closed for your dog to be 'crate-trained'? I suppose that by leaving the door open, we're not really teaching her to hold on anymore. She is house-trained now though - we haven't had an inside accident for weeks :D

No Karrilab she will learn that there are times when the door is open and times when it must be closed.

Labradors are very intelligent - they have it worked out while your still thinking about it :D

lol you must have one of the special ones!!! Mine is only intelligent if there is food involved......