Tiolet Training Help

inbox

Hi everyone, another toilet training threat which I can't seem to pile up ideas from other threads.

My pup is now 15weeks old and still not fully toilet trained which I am still working on and I would love some tips to help so.

My main curious question is, I have this area where we play with the pup all grass where I try to make him do the deed around the corner since it is he's play area. But its only half the time he would do it in that area and I do reward him a lot when he does it right although he still continues to do it somewhere else. Does everyone make him do it in an area designated in the yard? Or should I let him do it anywhere in the yard?

Also some more tips to make him do it in the right area?

He isn't leashed trained yet but i do try to stand around there to make him come to me and do it there. I also tried spraying vinegar or some uraine off on areas he isnt suppose to do so.

Now the main problem.

I have a deck out the back of my place which stands 1m off the ground and this is where my pup stays in his own pen that surrounds his crate. I've made a ramp which he happily uses to get out in the yard for him to play or do the deed. So when it is time for him to do the deed, I let him out of the pen right out to the area he needs to but the main problem is when i'm not there where he will just do it in his pen area. I can leave the gate open for him to access the yard and do it outside but at this stage where he isn't doing it at the right area, I didn't think it would be alright to do so until he can do it properly? Although I'm getting worried he will find it good to do the deed on the deck now.

How should I go about training him to stop doing it in the pen area and in the right area outside? Also I do take him out after he eats/sleeps until he does so and in the middle of the night.

Also I've noticed sometimes after eating, he wont do any poo until at least a hr later, what could be the cause of that?

Also is it good idea to use a metal leash to train my pup that includes the metal collar?

Thanks for the help.

Edited by inbox

You can teach your pup to toilet in a specific spot, just keep him on a leash when you take him out, and don't let him go until he has done it in the right spot.

Your puppy goes to the toilet on the deck because he is not toilet trained yet, he is still learning. Don't make a fuss, just clean it up. If you catch him in the act you can distract him by making a noise (clapping loudly, stomping etc) and if he stops, take him to his spot to finish. If he finishes in the right spot, reward him.

It is ok for the puppy not to go to the toilet immediatley after he eats. Keep taking him out until he goes, and watch for signs that he is looking for somewhere to go.

Hi thanks for the reply

I was wandering if it was a good idea to put some pepper inside the bed mixed with the stuffing inside to stop him from chewing it. I heard you need to put some water near him if doing so but was wandering why?

My main curious question is, I have this area where we play with the pup all grass where I try to make him do the deed around the corner since it is he's play area. But its only half the time he would do it in that area and I do reward him a lot when he does it right although he still continues to do it somewhere else. Does everyone make him do it in an area designated in the yard? Or should I let him do it anywhere in the yard?
It's very much a personal thing how important this seems to each individual owner. I certainly don't think it's worth stressing about. But if it seems important to you then there's not much more that you can do than taking the pup to the area you want them to use and waiting until they go, then rewarding them. If he was leash-trained it would be a bit easier, but as it is you should be able to pick him up when he moves away and put him back there. I don't think that using vinegar has any repellant qualities for a dog, urineoff I've never used and don't know much about. Puppies wreck things, that's just how it is, and I'd suggest you get him some bedding for the time being that he can't do to much damage to. I think the pepper could be quite a risk to his health/welfare, water or no water.

By saying that he isn't leash-trained do you mean that you haven't started on that yet, or that he resists the leash when you put it on him?

when i'm not there where he will just do it in his pen area. I can leave the gate open for him to access the yard and do it outside but at this stage where he isn't doing it at the right area, I didn't think it would be alright to do so until he can do it properly? Although I'm getting worried he will find it good to do the deed on the deck now.
If you put a different surface down in the pen (newspapers, pee mats if he's not likely to rip them up) hopefully you'll be able to stop him forming a surface preference for the deck surface).
Also I've noticed sometimes after eating, he wont do any poo until at least a hr later, what could be the cause of that?
Keeping a record of when you feed him and when he goes to the toilet will hopefully allow you to work out his routine and see how it changes as he grows up. It will really help you to provide the chance for him to go to the toilet when he needs to.
Also is it good idea to use a metal leash to train my pup that includes the metal collar?
Metal leads can injure ppl and dogs, so they're pretty much out of favour atm, and about the collar - do you mean a check collar? Edited by WalandLibby