Lead Training A Quiet Stafford

hi there

we have just become the owners of a 5mo stafford female who is very quiet.

we have had staffords before and sucessfully done obediance with them, however this one proving a lot different from the rest as the issues in the past are to slow them down.

she's not afraid of the lead, she starts off perfectly with the heel command walks a few steps then the brakes go on and she drops to the floor. i dont want to get to harsh on her with the choker as shes very soft and i dont want to stress her out too much. just trying to encourage her when she is walking properly which hasnt really been achieving much so far.

any advice is appreciated

How about you cash in on those good first few steps she takes by using praise/rewards when she gets it right? Stop before she has chance to put the brakes on, so that you end the session on a high note, and see if you can build up to getting her to walk a few steps more each session. Once she gets the hang that walking a bit furthe ris all rosy & might get her a few treats, she will be less likely to use the brakes.

I would suggest a flat collar too...she is only a baby.....perhaps the chain is worrying her???

Oh, and congratulations on your new addition....any photos to share??? :rolleyes:

ETA: is that her in your avatar???

Edited by Willow

I agree with DD, only a few steps, massive praise and treats

When heeling at home with my 2 who are trialling I still only do short steps, heeling is boring, build it up slowly, make it fun, and if the lead is really bothering her just drop it down so she is dragging it and use the treats, praise etc to keep her with you, (if you are in the backyard/house or somewhere secure)

Staffords may look tough but they can be such softies! I use a martingale on my two

...no heel commands...

What I was going to say, Dogdude :eek:.

Get the walk going easy enough on lead first, before you leap for higher expectations such as the heel. At the moment, your 5mo staffy's world would be so interesting and new. Expecting her to be able to comply with heel command (which includes no sniffing; paying attention to you; etc) is a bit like expecting the prep school kid to be able to master more complicated maths beyond the first basics of 1 + 1 = 2. So rather than setting up the situation for failure, set it up for a 'win' and be happy to reward your pup for merely walking on loose lead. Proof the loose lead walking with some (gradually) higher distractions as she improves. Keep the sessions short but frequent and rewarding. Five month old pups don't need to walk out too far for too long. Work to finish on one of those really good notes and avoid being tempted to continue the session just because it is going well. It is usually then that us humans push too far too soon and we loose the opportunity to finish on the high.

Edited by Erny