Puppy Friends

Tammi

Ok I feel badly for Rufus due to him being an only dog for a little longer. So between myself and a friend we have arranged for puppy play dates.

Rufus is a 12month old Kelpie cross GSP (best guess anyway was a rescue dog)

Buddy is a 21 week old Mastiff with a little bit of Ridgeback (so handsome and placid)

Today was their first meeting and while Rufus did growl once initially, it took him about 5 seconds to warm up and initiate a play bow. They had a 15 minute play, which mostly involved Rufus sitting on Buddy. Then I made them take a break with Rufus inside for 5 mins. About a 20minute play this time and now Buddy is inside with me.

Being as how Buddy is still young, how long is too long. Or will they relax and allow each other to rest a some point?

Is Buddy still too young to be left unsupervised with Rufus? (They are the same height, Buddy is a giant!)

I get wednesday and thursdays off, but was hoping at some point to have Buddy visit on Mondays, Tuesdays and possibly Fridays as well. While I was at work, so want to make sure they will be ok.

Today was their first meeting and while Rufus did growl once initially, it took him about 5 seconds to warm up and initiate a play bow. They had a 15 minute play, which mostly involved Rufus sitting on Buddy.

Sitting on other dogs is dominant behaviour, I'd say that Rufus considers himself top dog. Just be careful because you have two young males here, Buddy is only a puppy but he'll mature and if he decides that he's had enough they may have a scrap. Anyway I wouldn't allow overly rough play or allow it to go on for too long because Buddy is a giant breed and you have to be extremely careful of their joints while they're growing. It's also probably not a good idea for the puppy to be consistently dominated by an older dog. I wouldn't leave them together unsupervised.

I was quite suprised at how dominant Rufus was behaving to be honest. He has always been the loveable goof.

I've suggested to Buddy's owner that she drops him off on her way to work and I will be able to watch them while they play. Then I will take Buddy home on my way to work. At least it gives both dogs a chance to have some fun with another dog before being left alone for a few hours.

Rufus is desexed, but Buddy isn't and I'm not entirely sure when he is going to be done. Do you think there might be a problem? They did have a good play session later on in the day after their 3rd rest period. I took Buddy inside for about 30mins to give them a rest. When we went back out he and Rufus loped around the backyard mostly shouldering and jumping over each other.

I can't get over how big Buddy is. He is only young and already the same height as Rufie with humungous paws. Eeek