Teaching A Puppy To Settle Down

Fozzie

I have a 14 week old labrador retriever puppy who loves to rumble with his big brother. He is often the instigator of the play fighting and will get so hyped up I need to break it up. To settle him down at the moment I am picking him up and holding him facing the wall, so he is removed from the excitement, so to speak. I will do this for a couple of minutes until he calms down. However, as he already weighs about 14 kgs, I can't do this for much longer as he is getting too heavy!

I will probably start 'time out' with him but was wondering if any one had any suggestions or even training commands they have been able to use to settle their dogs down.

Thanks in advance

Haha, Fozzie, I do the exact same thing with Geordie... it's the only thing that works!

I pick her up and hold her suspended between my legs looking away from anything fun. I find anything else I do she enjoys too much (i.e. put her outside, she runs round the backyard; put her in the bathroom, she eats all the toilet paper; in her crate, she messes up her bed)... Shouting at her revs her up even more. Ignoring her revs her up even more...

Sorry, not much help!!

Funnily enough we had this issue addressed at our first obedience class that we attended last sunday as a result of our own hyped up Lab! Karri was completely crazy with all the other doggies around and the instructor used her as an example of a 'hyperactive dog'. She said that when she goes nuts we should have her sit between our legs (kind of pinned i guess) while we stand and massage her around her ears and neck. Not sure how easy it is in practise, but that was her advice!

Funnily enough we had this issue addressed at our first obedience class that we attended last sunday as a result of our own hyped up Lab! Karri was completely crazy with all the other doggies around and the instructor used her as an example of a 'hyperactive dog'. She said that when she goes nuts we should have her sit between our legs (kind of pinned i guess) while we stand and massage her around her ears and neck. Not sure how easy it is in practise, but that was her advice!

I find it easier to kneel on the ground, having pup sit between my knees - only when they relax do you let them go play again. Even now I use that position for cleaning Zig's ears (his least favourite thing in the world) or when he freaked out because the vet had a very strong smelling disinfectant on his hands and tried to give him his KC vaccine.

Hi Fozzie

I hav a 6.5month old Goldn Retiver, Bailey. When we started puppy class, he use to go nuts too seeing the other doggies- our instructor said to pick them up and hold them in our arms for a minute until they settle down as they then need to relax and give in to you rather than being dominat.It worked but as you said at 14weeks and 14kgs it gets a bit hard :o

you seem to be doing the right thing anyway :eek:

Our little Lucy (13 weeks) torments the 4 yo Poppy in much the same way! She's tiny (1.2kg!) and i could just pick her up, but I'd rather teach her self-control.

So, every morning they come into our room for a romp on the bed. When they stop for a 'rest' (even if it's a second or two), I'm rewarding her with a treat and "that's enough".

The older dog has figured this out, and will stop immediately and wait for her treat, even while the little pup is persisting... It may take a while, but I'm hopeful :laugh: