Has Anyone's Dog Choked On Chicken Necks?

~Aimee~

I watch my puppies when they get chicken necks. I rarely give them to the older dogs as I prefer the frames that they have to chew on. (much better for teeth and gum's) I always feed raw chicken frames as a supplement before and while I'm traveling as I find that it firms up their stools.

Cheers

Kat

Sorry, forgot to add this

Petra

"In an analysis of a sample of green tripe by a Woodson-Tenant Lab in Atlanta, Georgia, it was discovered that the calcium:phosphorous ratio is 1:1, the overall pH is on the acidic side which is better for digestion, protein is 15.1, fat 11.7 and it contained the essential fatty acids, Linoleic and Linolenic, in their recommended proportions. Also discovered, was the presence of Lactic Acid Bacteria. Lactic Acid Bacteria, also known as Lactobacillus Acidophilus, is the good intestinal bacteria. It is the main ingredient in probiotics.

Finally, because of it’s rubbery texture, serving it in large chunks also aids the canine in strengthening it’s jaw muscles and has an added benefit as a form of canine dental floss. "

A friend found her 6mth old standard poodle dead from choking on a chicken wing. I don't feed any bones unsuperviser.

Neither of my dogs have had any problems with chicken wings as puppies or lamb shanks/ other bones as adults. They love chicken frames. I always feed bones despite the risk because it is necessary for the dogs health, particularly their teeth and coat. You have to find the right size for the size of your dog. Eg, too big for them to swallow in one gulp :confused: .

Bruno used to gulp his bones as a puppy so I stayed right beside him while he was eating. He grew out of that really quickly though.

No way will I feed my dogs chicken necks again!

A few months ago I had given all 3 dogs a chicken neck , turned my back for a minute to wash my hands, when I turned back to the dogs Phooey was staggering toward me. His eyes rolled back & he fell to the floor. I was lucky enough to be able to grab the end of the bone from his throat & pull it out.

He was fine straight away but it scared the crap out of me as it happened so fast. He doesnt normally swallow things whole.

Scary to think what would have happened if I couldnt get it out or wasnt there with him. I dont think he would have made it to a vet.

My vet's old dog choked to death on a raw chicken wing. :confused:

You have a dilemma when looking after your dog's oral health. Anything solid enough to clean the teeth is solid enough to potentially choke or cause an internal injury to a dog. I feed all bones under supervision. I would stop giving chicken wings or necks to any dog that tries to eat them quickly.

Yes. Bruce is 9 weeks old & the first time I gave him a chicken neck he choked! I just about had a heart failure, but I managed to pull it out, it went straight in the bin! He was then cranky at me for taking away his treat & sulked at me for the next ten minutes!

I also have a friend who's adult staffy died after choking on a chicken neck.

I now give Bruce frozen necks & always while I'm there to supervise.