Lure Coursing Or Fun Days - Canberra

Closest lure coursing to Canberra is currently Erskine Park in Sydney.. the Afghan club of NSW runs it and details are on their website. I think its finished for the year.

There is talk of getting a lure coursing set up for Canberra. Anita (member here) will know more about that.

I would be interesting in lure coursing in Canberra too. I have a Staffy that LOVES to chase balls/toys etc but cannot catch on the full so flyball is out until he figures that out!

He has no experience in any dog sports but I think lure coursing might be fun for him. :confused:

If something does start up in Canberra I am more than happy to volunteer for anything to get it all up and running. I have no experience with lure coursing but I can make cuppas and pick up poop, if that's of any help?!?

Edited by cate0404

It's probably too late to set up anything this year - too hot from now until autumn.

We do have the lure coursing machine and pulleys etc the main hold up now is trying to find a suitable location and work out the insurance details.

If we get our back paddock down to a suitable level of vegetation we should be able to do it there. :banghead:

There is a yahoo list - lurecoursing-act for people who are interested in getting coursing up and running in Canberra.

Bear.

I am really keen to try this with my dogs, I have 2 whippets, a dog and a bitch (desexed), they both love to run and chase so I am hoping this will be just the thing for them. I'm going to go and check out that Yahoo list now - thanks very much :banghead:

I am really keen to try this with my dogs, I have 2 whippets, a dog and a bitch (desexed), they both love to run and chase so I am hoping this will be just the thing for them. I'm going to go and check out that Yahoo list now - thanks very much :)

Yahoo list name is misspelt and we haven't gotten around to fixing it! There's a button on this page you can use to join:

http://www.acthoundclub.org/events.html

As Faxonandbear said, the primary hold up has been a suitable venue - our property is in Yass and requires significant work before we could do it here (don't want dogs garroted on horse fencing for example). Other possibilities haven't worked out and now summer is coming on it will have to wait until next winter.

If you are a Canberra region local and know of a couple of acres of cleared, flat land with good fencing we could use please let us know about it!!