Old Dog Zapped By Electric Fence

Netti

Hi everybody,

Today my 9 year old silky terrier X was zapped by our electric fence. I dont know how it happened but saw him running and yelping after the event. The fence has been there for years and he usually keeps well away.

He ran inside and hid under my bed for a while and would not come out when called so I left him there. Later I went in and he was asleep on top of the bed, I

talked to him and went to pat him and he seemed to be coming out of a very deep sleep. He wagged his tail, got up and stretched (which is always a good sign),

and went staight back to sleep.

I have been zapped myself at times but my 70kg weight is far different from his 8kgs.

Has anybody else had a dog who has reacted like this after an electric shock?

Any info would be gladly received.

Cheers Netti

Yes, When ever mine are zapped by the fence they often run and hide for a while. I think it is because they can't really associate the fence with the shock unless they went up and looked at it and touched it ti see what it was.

If they get zapped while just walking along and accidently touch it unknown to them, i think it really confuses them.

I had one that got tangled up in it and I had to hold him down to get him free and try to untangle him and then cut it, and he was quite timid for a while and he even associated me with the whole experience because I was there holding him to get him free.

There shouldn't be any physical health problems with him if he just got one or two thumps with it.