Is My Pup Getting Too Much Exercise?

megan_

Hi All,

I have an eight month old mini-schnauzer cross. I got him at 10 weeks and up until a few months ago I limited his walks to 20 mins at a time (as recommended by my vet, dog walker, Dr B etc). He went on 2 - 3 /day, but no more than 20 mins at a time.

Over the last few months, however, my dog walker - who visits while I'm at work - takes Fergus on a 1/2 hour - 1.5 hour off leash play/run with a group of other dogs. He absolutely loves it and it has been great for his socialization. He has gone from an introverted 10 week old pup to a confident 8 month old. Some of this is due to my socialization, but a lot of it is due to his dog walks/plays when I'm at work. He isn't "forced" to run, and some of the dogs tire out and slow down - but not him!

I also take him for a 15 - 20 min on lead/training walk every evening - and he is rearing to go.

My question is: is this too much exercise for an 8 month old pup? I would hate to cutback on his dog walks because, while they are very expensive, he absolutely loves them and they are so good for my peace-of-mind and his doggy manners. However, if it's going to hurt him in the long term I'll cut it back...

Thanks,

Megan

when youre walking him - walk on grass it's a bit better for their joints than the pavement

20 mins is fine as is free running

when the joints become less knobbly they can generally get more exercise

keep his weight on target - thats the biggest nono for future joint probs