Rawhide Chews

Quickasyoucan

We grew up giving out dogs rawhide chew sticks.

Jake my dog loves the Lucky Dog ones (the little ones that look like cigarettes).

I did not know until I read something here and then did a bit of research that they were so bad for dogs. Now I am worried, I am causing him irreparable harm. (not so "Lucky Dog" :rofl: )

Can someone please suggest a similar alternative? Jake usually has one or two in the morning after his breakfast while I am still at home, so I am not talking about a large bone to chew on while I am out as he spends 99% of the time indoors (with a dog door) and puts himself to bed while I leave. If I am giving him a large bone, I prefer to be around to supervise.

I do give him chicken tips, but again I supervise him as he tends to try and swallow whole. He rejected the carcasses (he's a bit fussy).

Is there something chewy but not too big that is a safe alternative?

ETA: Oops I put this in puppy and not health, can it be moved to health?

Edited by Quickasyoucan

What about Nyla bones?

They are safe to chew and be left alone with and also come in lots of different flavors/shapes and sizes.

http://www.nylabone.com/products/non-edible/

I used to give my pup rawhide chews until I heard some really horrible stories of dogs choking and dying.

When I stopped giving rawhide, I made the switch and started giving him dog biscuits as a treat when I went out and left him.

Snot doesn't really treat his nyla bone as just another toy, he chews on his for hours and hours- it's his favorite. :laugh: and good for teeth and gums too!:(

Guest june.andnovas
My guys like kangaroo tendons. :o

yeah where do you find them?? I want to get Ivy something to chew while I leave for work next week but bones are too messy for her to eat indoors.