Clicker Training

Raven

I have a beautiful 3 1/2 month old Newfoundland Puppy Digi, he's a great pup but I'm having

issues of him nipping my 5 yr old son.

The reason why he targets my son is because my son flaps his arms (he's autistic) so Digi thinks he

has a wonderful toy.

I purchased a clicker the other day and yesterday did some basics and was amazed how quick he understood.

How do I go about stopping him nipping (other than having my son outside) using the Clicker and Rewards.

BTW we are booked into Training next Month.

Thanks for any advice.

Sharon

If it were me, I would try training an alternate behaviour. For example, train him to sit when he gets near your son. It may be a little difficult with such a young puppy as they are still babies. You would just need to be really consistent. I would also think about putting a leash on him so if he gets too excited he can't get to your son to nip. You don't want him forming a nipping habit in spite of your training. It would be hard to break, I reckon. On the plus side, puppies do tend to get over nipping on their own eventually, but it can be a long time and you wouldn't want your son to grow to dislike Digi.

Look up Karen Pryor on the web. She has a page, I think it's called Clicker Solutions or something similar. Lots of articles to read. There is also a couple of really good Yahoo clicker groups that are worthwhile reading through to understand how different people approach it and why.

Best of luck. I think Newfies are a great choice for an autistic child. :thumbsup: Unfortunately they all start as puppies. :rolleyes:

Thank You Corvus,

Digi is a gorgeous boy and I know he has to get over

the puppy stage, I can't wait for training to resume then we will

have more one on one with the trainer.

We chose a Newfie because of our sons special needs, they will grow up

the best of Buddies :thumbsup:

Thanks 4Paws I have put the site in my favourites will have a look at it later

when my son goes to bed.

Better be off Child is calling.

Thanks again

Sharon