Dandruff?

Hey guys, I rescued a dog today from the RSPCA. Beautiful Pomeranian X as a companion dog for Charlie. i was giving him a brush and i noticed he had alot of white flakes on his skin, not just acouple but alot. he was a stray when the pound picked him up and has been at the RSPCA for a month. What should I do to help this? Is there a special shampoo I should use? and is it ok to use human conditioner on a pet?

Also heard from my neighbour that she uses fabric softner on her dog... as a conditioner ... havent tried this yet but am a little hesitant cause its fabric softner...

thanks.

-Lynette, Charlie and Sunny

you need to nourish the dog from the inside out - their flakes and our dandruff are two different things.

more oils in the diet be it change the kibble, switch to raw, add flax seed oil etc and dont wash too often. Do not blow dry but towel dry well and only use lukewarm water.

never use fabric softener or human conditioners. There is a product called EpiSoothe which is good and ResiSoothe is the leave in conditioner.

great, I knew i shouldnt use the fabric softner, doesnt sound right. I will go buy some of those things tomorrow from the pet store... Hes way too skinny so I need to fatten him up. That might also be contributing to the diet. I might get some oil and dip the chicken necks in it.

thanks for all the help. I will wash him in acouple of days because he has just been microchipped and i dont want to ruin the scab. I guess Ill just keep brushing him to remove dead hair, I gave him a nice brushing today (which he loved) and removed more than a handfull of hair (compressed)

thanks for all the help. He's settling in so well.

Hes teeth arnt that white, so im going to purchase some doggy toothpaste and put it on the teeth cleaning toy i already have, plus the chicken necks should help clean them.

thanks for all the help

sebazole is a medicated shampoo and can be quite strong I wouldnt go using it too regularly on a healthy dog

Really? :D

We asked our vet if it was okay to use it on our other dogs aswell and he said it would be fine. Our dogs get a bath every two weeks and using the shampoo doesn't seem to be causing any probs.

Our littlest pup (silky X shihtzu) has thick silky hair, and is getting 'dandruff' - the vet said it's part of the growth spurt puppies go through!

We are feeding her omega pet oil with her dry biscuits (1/4 tsp daily) in addition to raw bones/ vegies etc as alternate meals, and her coat is improving greatly :o