Kennel Cough Or Something Else?

For the past few days I've noticed Lili coughing just every now and then. I mean maybe once a day she will cough, say twice.

I work in a shelter so I know what kennel cough sounds like and it doesn't really sound like this.

It sounds a bit more like there is phlegm in there, not so dry sounding as KC usually is. Were taking her to the vet to check anyway but just thought I'd ask if anyone here has any ideas?!

Can kennel cough sound "Juicy" ( I know, gross :confused: )

And could it just be a very mild case seeing as she's only coughing every now and then?

Thanks guys :o

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Aussie3

What happened with this one?

My dog has this strange cough/gag in the morning?

I'm off to the vet now - but found this while searching DOL.

Just after I posted she stopped :rofl: it probably lasted all of a week.

She would only cough when she was excited or running and it would just be once or twice!

Reason I posted was that it didn't sound like kennel cough to me, it was softer, not as harsh a sound.

We didn't end up going to the vet as it stopped really quickly so I think maybe it was just a cold of some kind?? I think they can just pick up colds/coughs that aren't necessarily kennel cough?

She was her usual feral self the whole time!

Good luck at the vets :(

Hi Aussie3

Just after I posted she stopped :rofl: it probably lasted all of a week.

She would only cough when she was excited or running and it would just be once or twice!

Reason I posted was that it didn't sound like kennel cough to me, it was softer, not as harsh a sound.

We didn't end up going to the vet as it stopped really quickly so I think maybe it was just a cold of some kind?? I think they can just pick up colds/coughs that aren't necessarily kennel cough?

Good luck at the vets :(

Thanks for the response Aussie3, good to hear your dog cleared up.

I took him to the vet this morning...vet said "kennel cough" - which is just a generic term for "dog cough". It can be a bacterial or viral infection - essentially, it's a doggy cold.

She put him on antibiotics and gave him a cortisone injection to reduce the mild throat imflamation. Checking back in a week.

Edited by Luke W

Hi Aussie3

Just after I posted she stopped :thumbsup: it probably lasted all of a week.

Good luck at the vets :thumbsup:

Thanks for the response Aussie3, good to hear your dog cleared up.

I took him to the vet this morning...vet said "kennel cough" - which is just a generic term for "dog cough". It can be a bacterial or viral infection - essentially, it's a doggy cold.

She put him on antibiotics and gave him a cortisone injection to reduce the mild throat imflamation. Checking back in a week.

Yeah, I think it was the same with Lili, hiope your little man's feeling better soon :laugh:

My boy has something similar at the moment. It's not KC though. His tonsils are red and slightly inflamed and it sounds more like he's got something irritating his throat than coughing. He has actually had it before, as did our other dog at the same time and it went away after a week or so on it's own.

My boy has something similar at the moment. It's not KC though. His tonsils are red and slightly inflamed and it sounds more like he's got something irritating his throat than coughing. He has actually had it before, as did our other dog at the same time and it went away after a week or so on it's own.

My vet says his tonsils were a tiny bit inflamed to.

She actually heard/saw him 'cough' and said, yep that's typical KC...

It didn't sound much like a person cough to me...

Just a single, 'caak', like the clearing of a throat, then a sort of gag like he was trying to bring something up.

Glad to hear yours got better!