Labrador Puppies And Playing Fetch

LoremIpsum

My lab puppy is six months old. She loves playing fetch, but so far I've resisted throwing a tennis ball in the park for her because I'm worried about the damage abrupt stopping and jumping might have on her growing bones — and, given she's a lab, particularly on her hips. I don't know her provenance so I don't know what her genetic predisposition of hip dysplasia is likely to be.

Does anyone know anything about this? Is there an age when it becomes ok?

Restrict her from long walks or things like throwing a ball or playing rough tug (as they'll be bouncing off their hips) until 12 months of age. Doesn't mean you can go hooly the day she turns 1, just means you can worry a lot less and gradually build her up to a decent length walk and some fun fetch games! The first year of my lab puppy's life was quite full of worry :thumbsup: And now my baby is almost 2, where does time go? :thumbsup:

Cheers. 12 months old it is! That's a weight off my mind.

She loves running around but she stops and starts gently when left to her own devices. The problem is that we sometimes encounter other people playing fetch with their dogs and she wants to join in. But this is easily solved — I'll just leash her and walk away.

We play "baby fetch" inside with soft toys so she's still getting the idea.

Also, she already loves swimming and playing fetch in the water — I assume this is ok as the weight-bearing pressure is off. I don't through water toys very far; just enough to give her a bit of a swim.

I believe swimming is ok, but be careful of taking her to the beach where running through the soft sand is not good for her growing joints. Also avoid river banks that are hilly so she doesn't have to climb up them to get out :thumbsup:

A bit off topic (but still to do with labs!) my lab at 6 months found the river on her own and jumped in (I took her there to introduce her to it but she jumped right in!) and she did a bit of paddling, came back to shore, paddled again, etc. It was only recently that I decided to see if she'd fetch out in the water (as she doesn't do fetch well on land!) and off she went, swimming and swimming right out, grabbed the item, turned around the swam back. I know it's such a natural thing for them to do but I was well chuffed as I'd only seen her splash about and paddle about a metre from the shore :thumbsup: She went out a good 10-15 metres or so this time! :thumbsup: Now I've got a rescue lab, I'm yet to see if she loves water as much as the other!

I believe swimming is ok, but be careful of taking her to the beach where running through the soft sand is not good for her growing joints.

I think the running would be the problem here, not the sand?? .. soft sand is actually better than hard sand for joints..

I believe swimming is ok, but be careful of taking her to the beach where running through the soft sand is not good for her growing joints.

I think the running would be the problem here, not the sand?? .. soft sand is actually better than hard sand for joints..

Well yes, the running is the main issue here when done in extended periods for pups. I agree, running on hard surfaces is not good for joints, but I would imagine running through soft sand is not good either as it's hard work! Have you tried running through really soft dry sand opposed to the more solid stuff, it's hard work on those legs! To be safe, I would probably avoid having the pup run on both :thumbsup:

Well yes, the running is the main issue here when done in extended periods for pups. I agree, running on hard surfaces is not good for joints, but I would imagine running through soft sand is not good either as it's hard work! Have you tried running through really soft dry sand opposed to the more solid stuff, it's hard work on those legs! To be safe, I would probably avoid having the pup run on both :laugh:

Its hard work on muscles, not joints :laugh: same for us humans :laugh: Lol I walk on the hard stuff, but it does really pound those joints.

I have a joint condition (Gross Hyper-extension - like HD but with every joint), and although I still take my dogs to my beach(there is usually only me on it) 3-4 times a week, I can tell you that soft sand is extremely painful on my joints. Loose ligaments and tight tendons, the same as growing puppies have, means there is a lot of movement in the joints and subsequent issues of injury.

My dogs are always leashed till we reach the firmer wet sand. Dry, soft sand has lots of give, yes, but the 'give' unexpectedly changes direction all the time.

The other issue to monitor, whilst your dog is young, is to limit their running, playing time. Usually, if they are playing on their own in the backyard , this isn't a problem. But when taken out and meet new dogs or new , exiting environments, they cannot judge how much of a good thing is too much. They won't alsways give up the game when they get tired or sore. Green-stick factures, sprains and tears can be the result and these aren't always evident when they happen - the limping puppy an hour later, month or even a year.

The old adage "Everything in moderation" is a very good thing to stick to with puppies.!!!

I played fetch and tug with Kane pretty much from when i got him BUT for the first few months he lived soley inside and the ball was rolled around on the floor and he didnt really run much to grap it, when I strated playing with him outside (about 6 months) I still wouldnt throw it too much.

With tug, i would nevver pull on the toys very hard. Just a little pressure on him and then id let go.

Hes been swimming pretty much since I got him too but that was becasue of the creek that runs through the horse paddock. Kinda hard keeping a dog bred for swimming activities away from the way. Just watch that he doesnt swim so much that he tires him self out. About 5-10 min a day is fine.