Obedience School For A Pet "only" Dog

I'm after an obedience school for my 10 month old puppy. I was going to a commercial one, but I wasn't happy with the atmosphere and times (2pm on a Sunday meant that I often missed it).

I want to cut my losses (cost over $500!) and move onto something else.

I'm not interested in trialling my mutt, but rather I want to join a dog club/obedience school so that he can continue to learn good manners and master the recall. Eventually, I'd like him to try flyball or agility for fun if he's interested.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the good, bad or ugly? I've internet researched a bit and have come up with Croydon, Southern and Moorabin - but all are looking much the same?

Thanks,

Megan

I'm after an obedience school for my 10 month old puppy. I was going to a commercial one, but I wasn't happy with the atmosphere and times (2pm on a Sunday meant that I often missed it).

I'm not interested in trialling my mutt, but rather I want to join a dog club/obedience school so that he can continue to learn good manners and master the recall. Eventually, I'd like him to try flyball or agility for fun if he's interested.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the good, bad or ugly? I've internet researched a bit and have come up with Croydon, Southern and Moorabin - but all are looking much the same?

Thanks,

Megan

I go to Croydon and Southside.

Southside is less geared toward trialling and more toward 'doggy manners'.

For recall, I'd suggest the Really Reliable Recall DVD and post a new thread to ask for advice on recalls. Recall is something you have to practice every day.

We have classes available in Clayton South geared toward pet dog practical obedience. I have a course finishing this Saturday if you'd like to come and have a look- just let me know and i can give you further details.

thanks. When and where?

Thanks,

Megan

I go to Croydon and Southside.

Southside is less geared toward trialling and more toward 'doggy manners'.

For recall, I'd suggest the Really Reliable Recall DVD and post a new thread to ask for advice on recalls. Recall is something you have to practice every day.

thanks. I also like the idea of southside owning the grounds, so you can use it outside of training hours.

We are practicing recall and he is reliable - when there are no distractions (ie other dogs). I'd like the formal training to help me establish when he's ready to cope with distractions 100%.