Does My Dog Have Fleas?

Andromeda

I've noticed that my pomeranian have some "black particles" that look like flea faeces clustered throughout various parts of his body. I couldn't find any fleas on him and he does not seem to be itchy and is not scratching excessively. I've noticed this in late Nov/early Dec 2008 and treated him with Sentinel Spectrum and Advantix. I then went on a 1 month holiday and when I washed him this afternoon I noticed that the amount of "black particles" seems to have increased.

My brother who looked after him while I was away told me that my pom has not been scratching excessively while I was on holiday.

I plan to give him Sentinel Spectrum and Advantix tomorrow. I'm not sure whether he has fleas but if it is not fleas what could it be?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I've heard that you can wet some paper towel and then brush the suspected flea dirt onto it - because flea dirt contains blood, if what you brush onto the paper dissolves and turns red/brown you can assume your dog does have fleas.

Hi Andromeda,

I am having the same problem too. Found flea dung, and then two fleas on my dogs recently (by combing with a flea comb, and one drowned during bath). I noticed you are from Canberra too - I have not had fleas for two years since having them, so maybe it's more of a problem this summer :thumbsup:

Kat