Causes Of Rapid Breathing

Caz no 2

One of my BC's has started rapid breathing within the last month. We have been to the vet, his heart rate is fine, did a blood test, (showed up fine), have done an xray of the lungs (nothing wrong).

The dog is not sore anywhere so don't believe he is in pain, as he is acting normal in every other way, still loves to play and is very active and no problem with eating.

What could be causing this? I know the weather is getting hotter, but he breathes faster even on a cool night and at complete rest.

What shall we be checking next?

Edited by Caz no 2

i had a similiar problem with one of my GSD,s 3 years ago. Like you i took her to the vet after she started breathing rapidly, she had an ultra sound of the heart and lungs and I was told all seemed ok. She ate normally and was very active. Nine months ago she developed a cough. Further tests revealed she had large mass on the lung, the biopsy results where inconclusive but they said she had lung cancer. She passed away aged 10 last July, i suggest in 6 months time if the breathing is unchanged to have another blood test to see if his levels are the same. Good luck di

Check his lymph glands for swelling as fast breathing especially at night can be an early symptom of lymphosarcoma. I assume your vet would have checked for this so just check the lymph glands around his neck and chest and on the back of his hind legs each day for a couple of weeks to rule this out.