Pugs Shedding Big Time - Help!

Madeleine

Ok for all of you groomers out there.....

We have 2 pugs....and this is our first serious summer with 'adult' coats - so we are slightly new at ths. Of course pugs shed heaps - it's well known, and I certainly don't expect a fur free house, clothes, washing machine, couch or car ever again.....(I even find some dog hair at work....) I'm just wondering if there's anything else we can do to 'help' this situation......

Firstly I wash them and condition them - for the shinyness and the ease of removing the 'never ending excess' of fur. Then once they're dry....do the brushing.....

We have 2 grooming utensils - apologies don't know names but one has a metal loop which seems to work quite well to get rid of most of the hair (but I'm forever on the hunt for something better), especially if we backcombe, but it doesn't collect it, so the other is a rubbery thing with spikes to pick up all the loose fur once we're finished with number one.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?? And how often would you recommend brushing and washing at this time of year?

Thanks

I hink what you are talking about is what we call a shedding blade---greatest thing I ever found for my golden retrievers. It has different size teeth on each side of the metal loop.. It is also great for getting excess water out of their coats wafter a bath. I also have what loks like a minature garden rake that I use and it is also great. It really helps with the under coat.

When we had new carpet put down several years ago, we had 4 goldens--well 3 full goldens and a golden mix that most take for full godlen. We hunted to find a carpet color thawould not show heir fur so bad. Then 3 years ago (we were were down to 3 dogs then, having lost Hunter to ProHeart6) we went to get 2 new cker reclier chairs. I loved the forest green, green being my favorite color. Also the bar at one end of our livingroom has forest green top on it. But ewdog hair woul stand out on tht foet reen. Consier dyeing the dogs forest green, but decided that would be a hassel. JUST KIDDING OF COURSE) and we settled on a light brownish with goldthreads in it. And do hair does not show at all.

I do think they have come out with something where you actually "vacuum" your dogs and remove most of the loss fur. I also carry those "sticky rollers" in the car, have them around the house, etc, to roll over or clothes.

I just bathed my guys and I feel your pain.

Here is what I do:

Bath no more than monthly, but use the zoom groom to lather shampoo - it gets out a stack of coat.

Blow drying will get a lot of coat out too.

When dry, I zoom groom and undercoat rake.

Try and brush daily with rake and zoom groom (but that doesn't always happen).

I've found that the pugs that are shedding the most are the ones that don't get regularily bathed or brushed.

I have tried many brushes/grooming tools and the shedding blade, metal loop, is the best by far in getting rid of the hair. At tip is to use it when the pug is still a little damp from the bath.

I bath the pugs once every 7 to 10 days and always have done so.

Madeline just wait a little while and you will be oblivious to the hair. :rolleyes:

We use two shedding blades at a time, (the ones with the teeth only on one side) someone holds their heads and I go crazy with the blades until no more comes out. Then it is bathtime with the same proceedure but with two zoom grooms. After bathing (when dry) we do the shedding blades again :laugh: Only vacuum twice a week now with the dyson :laugh: You should see the gazebo when I go grooming crazy at the shows :3monkeys: