Advice Needed - Dominance

We have had Fred our 3yr old basset hound (from a shelter) for 7 months and we have just got Jessie, an 11yr old Collie cross, also from a shelter, 2 weeks ago. The first night they fought terribly, particularly over attention from my husband. We applied a few techniques and they have been perfectly behaved since, playing in the garden together etc.

However, last night my husband and I went to have dinner, they were doing their usual hanging around, looking hungry with puppy eyes, and the next thing I know they have gone for each other. I don't understand why they did this? We don't give them food from our plates so its not like they were actually fighting over food? They had already eaten so its not like they were starving hungry? Did we do something wrong or do they genuinely not like each other?

In suggestions to separate them I have heard the water squirt technique - however, this happened inside the house and was over in about 15 seconds.

Any suggestions on why they might have done this and how to deal with this in the future would be greatly appreciated!