Refusing To Walk

dogon

Hi all,

Rodney (14 weeks) Will happily run around in the dog park BUT only if we drive him there ;) If we try to walk him (something he has done happily before) he'll just sit on his bum and refuse to move. I do try to lure him with little treats but it's painful for all concerned.

I'm guessing he's going through a fear period (he hates the noise of traffic at present) and my instinct is to leave it off for a while and continue driving him to the park. Am I right? If I do let him ease into it will I be pandering to his demands therefore reinforcing a bad habit? What tactics (if any) do people use. A quick walk around the block (10 min - just to burn some energy for him) would be ideal before we go to work followed by a romp in the park in the arvo. Maybe we'll have to wait a bit for this.

(We don't walk him for very long and are very aware of his growing bones. Also, please don't tell me I'm walking him too early btw, I know that some here believe that people should wait until the 16 week shot, but we have chosen not to wait. Thanks :cheer: )

Edited by dogon

Do you mean if you walk him to the park he just sits there once you get to the park, or he refuses to walk altogether?

Since he is so young, if you walk him to the park, he may be buggered by the time you get there are just want to flop down and do nothing. With our Cocker we drive to the park (about a 20 minute walk there), when we first arrive there is a burst of energy for 5 minutes playing and sniffing and running around saying hello Then, unless we walk around the park, there is 15 minutes of laying down and watching the world. Then we get 5 minutes of playing again, then 15 minutes of nothing, etc, etc.

Not sure how long you stay at the park after the walk there, but it may just be that Rodney has decided he has done enough for little bit and it's time to rest! You could try going for a slow stroll (slow enough for puppy to walk) and he may be happy to wander along with you, othewise try waiting 15-20 minutes and the batteries may be recharged.

Also if he is going through a fear period, may be best to keep him at home for a week and just play fetch and do training. Great time to work on loose leash walking with no distractions.

And I don't think 10 minute walks around the block are going to do much harm :thumbsup:

You could try going for a slow stroll (slow enough for puppy to walk) and he may be happy to wander along with you.

God, I wish I could go for a "slow stroll" with my pup - he's only a poodle/maltese cross, but at 4.5 months old, he's a little speed demon!

Dogon, I think Rodney might be objecting to the traffic, as you said. If he's fine to zoom around the park once you're there, then there's obviously something about walking along the footpath/road that bothers him.

Unless you're letting him off the leash at the park? If so, it might be walking on the leash he's objecting to.

*sigh* It's so hard to know, isn't it? I've never had problems walking Max, but I've given in a put him in a harness rather than a collar for the moment. He was pulling SO much with the collar, training and walking was just miserable for us both. So, I'll keep trying to teach him to heel while he's in the harness using the same training methods I've been shown, but I'll give up on the collar until he's 6 months or so, I think.

Hope Rodney decides to get off his bottom soon! (He's very cute, by the way!)

Sounds like a fear period to me, new noises have a way of doing this sort of "sit on bum and don't move" stuff. How is he responding to the lead? Maybe he's not use to that. If this is the case,

then sit in the back yard with him and let him drag the lead around behind him for a while, so he can get use to it.

They say at his age, all the exercise they need is their own play time, but I found the need to walk our dog to burn off some energy too. Mental exercises are said to have an even better effect

on wearing them out too, but it's good to combine both mental and physical for socializing purposes. We never forced the issue when our dog sat down. Tried to encourage, and sometimes she

would only want to go "so far" and then no more. Gradually her confidence grew, and now she's 8 months, and we go everywhere together.

Do you mean if you walk him to the park he just sits there once you get to the park, or he refuses to walk altogether?

oops, didnt make that clear did I :rofl: He loves to run around at the park (not much sitting and running) but if we just wanted to walk somewhere from our house that's when he displays the sitting on the bum routine.

I'm always putting him through short training sessions (practising old things and introducing new skills) before and after work to burn off some mental energy. Can't say that he's a particularly hyper dog either (lucky me, hope it lasts :cheer: ) so it's not absolutely imperative that we walk him everyday.

I'm just interseted to know if this fear stage (I agree, Maximum, that it's the traffic) is something that may get him into a bad habit of being a 'picky' walker.

We have switched to an easy walk harness because he was pulling like crazy on the return journey ( :laugh: think he's trying to tell us something). It's a great harness and he walks well on it when he feels like it (at the park). I spent the whole 8 -12 week period running him about the yard with the lead to get him used to the whole walking process so when it came to being out and about he'd be comfortable. That lasted a week and a bit and now this!

vjb: My instinct is to just leave him until his confidence grows too so it's good to know that others, like yourself, have a dog that now loves a walk.

cheers all.

I'm just interseted to know if this fear stage (I agree, Maximum, that it's the traffic) is something that may get him into a bad habit of being a 'picky' walker.

We have switched to an easy walk harness because he was pulling like crazy on the return journey ( :cheer: think he's trying to tell us something). It's a great harness and he walks well on it when he feels like it (at the park). I spent the whole 8 -12 week period running him about the yard with the lead to get him used to the whole walking process so when it came to being out and about he'd be comfortable. That lasted a week and a bit and now this!

vjb: My instinct is to just leave him until his confidence grows too so it's good to know that others, like yourself, have a dog that now loves a walk.

cheers all.

I live on Pacific Highway near St Leonards in Sydney - if you know the area, you'll know it's always zooming with traffic! Before Max was fully vaccinated, I decided to stay off the footpath and walked him around the property for about 15 minutes each day. There are lots of dogs in the area and I didn't want to take any chances. I'd take him with me when I took the garbage out, when I got the mail, via the front of the building when getting in the car (instead of walking directly downstairs to the carpark) etc. Or, I'd just let him look/sniff around the small garden we have out front. All this was just a few feet away from some MAJOR traffic.

Max now completely ignores the traffic on walks - unless a particularly big truck goes past and even then, he just looks around at the noise. Perhaps you could just let Rodney hang out on the footpath and watch the traffic go by for a while. Or, find a park that's on a major road and drive him there for a play, but at the same time get him used to the noise.

Thanks Tilly, yes, this is exactly what we do and will have to put up with it until he gets his act together :( Only thing is that nobody brings the car home - I have to go back and get it :rofl:a fascicle situation!!!!

Yes, he walks perfectly on lead when heading home (except the final stretch when he pulls), and at the park. I try to get him off lead at the park as I've been told that dogs can become a bit of a target to other dogs if they're on lead. I learn something new everyday!

Our Milo was exactly like this when he first started walking, it took about 2 weeks but now he quite happily follows us pretty much anywhere. If he stops for a sniff or a sit all it takes is a slight tug with the lead and he's back trotting with us again.

Not game enough to take him off lead at the park though, he's so small and quick we're afraid he might get spooked at something and bolt off. We walk him on an extendable lead which is kept short during the walk, and let out to 5 meters when we get to the park so he can romp around safely.