Jumping Up And Biting

toby'smum

Hi tobysmum

We have the same aged boy, he came to us a little early and his biting was horrendous at around 12-13 weeks. It's awful and you obviously already have experience with labbies - we didn't, and OH wanted to throttle him, me and everyone in between.

I didn't read back through this fully but has he had much interaction with other pups ? We were besides ourselves with frustration, tried everything, Boz started puppy school and then made a little friend (black lab) who he stayed with for a week. They played and play bit constantly and he came back to us a much improved pup. He still bites playfully but not every single time we pet him.

When he was at his worst, he had witching hours where he was so excitable it was not funny ... we tried to identify these and put him in his crate to calm down, which worked pretty well. Boz still jumps (I have to warn people) - but he's improving and we tell him to sit as far in advance as possible (ie when we see people coming or know someone is at the door. We also employed the method of ignoring him whenever we got home for 5 mins or so and then greeted him we WE were ready. I think this helped.

When he was at his worst, we also booked an appt with Steve at K9 and have that in March so I can share info there too.

Best of luck; I'm sure it will improve !

Hi bozthepup

I'm so glad you've replied as it was your original question on the forum that gave me the idea to join! I'd been on the 'net' to try and get answers. We've just finished the 4 weeks of puppy pre-school and he had a ball! Came home exhausted every Saturday and slept for the rest of the day. He played a lot with a choc. lab bitch same age as him, but he was always 'on-top' and had to be constantly separated by the teachers. Interestingly he got on really well with smaller dogs and wasn't so dominant with them. He met an adult dalmation one day last week on our walk and he was quite submissive and over-whelmed. Maybe I should foster him out for a week or two!!

I know it will improve but I guess I'm impatient and want him to be well-behaved all the time - an impossible ask at his age.

I don't want to be negative either as he's the most beautiful boy and is a real joy to have around - when he's on the ground and not clamped to my flesh!!

I know !! I am / was totally the same; the joy they bring is so immense but they're so naughty !!! Sounds exactly like Boz a puppy school; his black labbie friend and he got on perfectly and I think they're immediately drawn together with similar energy levels. Interestingly though, Boz's sister (who he's going to stay with when we go on hols next week), he's a little aggro with - and while they're fine, it's not like his best little buddy. I guess they have personalities and 'doggy friends' they get on well with, just like humans. Anyway, if you can arrange play dates with other pups and dogs that aren't too big and have all their shots etc., that helped us no end.

Hi Toby'smum,

We are going through the same thing with Thor (he is 12 weeks old now). Neil Smith from Spot on Dog Training is helping us and is doing a good job. With Thor in particular we have a dominance problem, he saw me as under him in the pack, therefore didn't respect me as a leader. Neil has helped me overcome this to gain my "Alpha Female" Status. Many tears of frustration have been shed but its a small investment for a well behaved and well adjusted Dog.

GSD-Girl :cheer: