Cold Tail Re-occuring

About 3-4 months ago I got into a big panic when I noticed my dogs tail was limp. After coming on dol and learning of the condition known as cold tail and reading up on it, I realised thats what she had. Her tail did recover over a period of about 3-4 days.

Well now 3 days ago it happened again. This time she woke up with it. Today her tail is almost fully recovered, im sure by tomorrow it will be 100%.

Now im not worried this time as I know what it is, but just wondering if other peoples dogs get it, and how often can I expect it to re-occur ?

Edited by calsonic350z

Don't know if you've read this, Calsonic350z, and I'm not sure of the reliability of the source (names are referenced, so it shouldn't be too difficult for you to check on it), but it seems the latest news is that the occurrence of Cold Tail has a basis in Muscle Fatigue and can be found to affect dogs who wag their tails back and forth a lot.

"Latest Information regarding Limber Tail"

In other readings, it is suggested that Cold Tail re-occurs in less than half of dogs affected. I don't know what "less than half" represents in actual percentage, but it seems that it does re-occur.

This probably doesn't really answer your question very well, but it is a condition for which there seems to be no conclusion as to the exact reason it occurs in the first place and that much of it is conjecture and guess work based on the activity patterns of those dogs who have been afflicted.

Our golden retriever duck dog had this happen. First time our son came in from hunting and Scooter's tail was hanging straight down I accused Ron of shuting it in his truck door (our dogs were NEVER allowed to ride in the back of the truck, always inside) o stepping on it in the duck blind. He swore he didn't do either. The tail didn't seem to hurt Scooter at all. But I learned of the "cold tail" and figured that was what it was. It did happen a few times, but it was always after he had been the cold water retrieving downed ducks.

At first I was thinking it was just some kind of lack of circulation getting to the extremity of the tail due to the cold. See last time her activity prior to the limp tail was consistent with many of the possible causes id read about previously. As goldens says, cold water, hard workout, and some others. This time none of those applied (her tail is back to normal today, btw)

Maybe she is somehow prone to the condition, and perhaps she slept on her tail, and that caused the muscle fatigue.

She does wag her tail alot, she carries it high (like a goldie), but thats pretty much her default. If shes calm its down, any kind of stimulation which with her is anything, the tail springs up.

Im satisfied with the muscle fatigue explanation is makes sense. I think it will re-occur until her conditioning improves. She gets a good amount of exercise and she is pretty ripped with muscle. I do have an ongoing problem with her eating though, that could be related. This might be her body telling me she needs a higher exercise load.

She eats eaukanuba premium. For the last 6 - 8 weeks she had been eating 2 cups a day and a few bones. When her condition was perfect she was eating 2 cups a day and 2 steaks, so thats what im trying to gradually bring her back to.