Is Three A Crowd?

We had two - perfect house - one each etc.........but I needed a bigger family. COuldn't explain it - had no logic etc. Like some human mums have told me - it is a "need" you cannot explain to rational people.

Did however have council permit, financial capacity etc.

So like the gods planned it - my plans for a Grey/Blue, Male Greyhound aged 1-2yr old became a 4 year old Brindle Girl emergency foster.

She was a neglect girl and needed a fair bit of extra work. That said - two to three is easy as. You barely notice the extra one. If they walk nicely on lead - you barely even notice the extra one.

However........I warn you - number four moves you into SERIOUS dog people territory. For some reason that ONE MORE is LOTS more.

I am still working on five and six with both Hubby and Council. I pay for 90% of the "costs" associated with the dogs and do 95% of the work - so that does help influence a reluctant hubby.

Like others have said - does depend on breed, personalities etc. That can't be avoided and is very important.

I am never happer than when surrounded by my babies and thier friends. We had 14 dogs (yes fourteen) here yesterday for a BBQ and afternoon of running, playing etc (yes on acreage). All different breeds and sizes - not a moments problem.

Total heaven for me.

If you can afford it, have the time and can take them on "for life" Why not give it a go. Particularly if you can take on a rescue or foster.

Colliehound

Worked extremely well for me :mad About 3 years ago, when my youngest black lab boy who I had since a pup, was about just shy of his 7th birthday, I adopted a 10 year old black lab boy thru a private rehoming. Wasn't actually planning on adding a 2nd dog, just read of his plight on Dol and next thing he is coming home with me :rofl: About two years later, again thanks to Dol, I heard about a 10 year old black boy in one of the pounds and had to go and check him out as cold weather was approaching, he was very overweight and suffering arthritis and I couldn't bear the thought of how he would handle the winter in the pound ;) . I kept a close eye on him over a week or two to see if he was adopted, but that didn't happen, so I couldn't just leave him there as he was such a lovely boy, so despite the fact, I really wasn't looking for another dog :D I took my two boys to meet him which went very well and a couple of days later, I brought him home.

Some things are meant to be and all my boys get on extremely well and my two beautiful adoptees settled in so quickly, it was like they had always been part of my family :) . I really believe that we have such a harmonious Labrador household due to my youngest boy, who is a very special boy who has been so accepting of these "interlopers" :laugh: and they are all so good with one anothe, even when any of them get in each others faces in typical Labrador fashion :rofl: .

I do believe that you need to carefully consider how your current dogs would accept another into their household, as you want the addition of a 3rd dog to be as stress free as possible for both dogs and humans in your household :) .

Edited by labsrule

Going to schn club pic soon, will see what happens after that.I say yes, hubby says no,a work in process!!!!!!!!!! Kids say yes too.

We will see you there! Are you referring to the NSW club-run day? OH and I are hoping to be foster parents in the very new future to a 3rd mini so I will hopefully have some info on a 3 dog household for you soon :thumbsup:

Becks, those photos were gorgeous...how come they didn't make it to the subforum? :thumbsup:

I just added a third to my small 2 bedroom house (extremely large backyard though :thumbsup: ). It's been a few weeks now and things are going really well. She is making it quite easy though by only peeing and pooing on newspaper - what a god send! My last pup I swear peed every 3 mins and in a different room or floor surface each time. That made things very annoying whereas with this little girl everything seems great........... so far anyway.

Walking two is hard enough, three is gonna be quite different. Looks like my halties are gonna get worn a fair bit in the future.

I think the new addition's personality will be the maker or breaker.

Going to schn club pic soon, will see what happens after that.I say yes, hubby says no,a work in process!!!!!!!!!! Kids say yes too.

We will see you there! Are you referring to the NSW club-run day? OH and I are hoping to be foster parents in the very new future to a 3rd mini so I will hopefully have some info on a 3 dog household for you soon :thumbsup:

Becks, those photos were gorgeous...how come they didn't make it to the subforum? :)

I thought they had been in the breed forum!