Cartrophen/zydax

Hi all,

it's that time of year again and I took Jack to the vet for his first of four Cartrophen shots. She told me of a new alternative called Zydax which all the vets are apparently promoting. Not knowing anything about it, I stuck with the usual, but intend to find out further.

Has anyone chosen it for their dogs. Any opinion would be appreciated.

Zydax is pentosan polysulphate which is also the active ingredient in Cartrophen.

same drug different label name. You can also get it labeled 'Pentosan' as well, again exactly the same.

Promotion could come from a lower price per bottle (hence greater profit margin per injection) unless there is another ingredient in there as well but not that I can find.

Product Name: Zydax 100 Injection

Active Constituent/s: 100 mg/mL pentosan polysulfate sodium

Applicant Name: Parnell Laboratories (Aust) Pty Ltd

Applicant ACN: 003 087 367

Summary of Use: Being an aid in the treatment of non-infectious, inflammatory joint diseases in dogs.

Date of Registration: 25 July 2003

Label Approval No: 57751/0703

Product Name: Zydax 250 Injection

Active Constituent/s: 250 mg/mL pentosan polysulfate sodium

Applicant Name: Parnell Laboratories (Aust) Pty Ltd

Applicant ACN: 003 087 367

Summary of Use: Being an aid in the treatment of non-infectious, inflammatory joint disease in horses.

Date of Registration: 25 July 2003

Label Approval No: 57752/0703

Nature Vet also make it :

http://www.naturevet.com.au/prodetails.php?pid=178#nd

Edited by Nekhbet

We have been starting our 'new' arthritis patients on Zydex and any patients that were midway through Cartrophen courses continue to get that.

Anecdotally, I've found that more dogs are responding very well to Zydex than responded very well to Cartrophen / Pentosan. Usually I found that about 70-80% of dog responded well to the others, and it was often a positive response seen towards the end of the course. Our pricing is very similar between the products, so it's not a marketing issue.

It IS the same ingredient but I feel there may be a difference in response to this particular formulation. Then again, maybe not :rolleyes:

Edited by Rappie