Wishing To Hear From Those Who's Dogs Have Had Success Or Relief

Well this has been a very informative thread.

I have just had the bloods taken from my girl for the spot test. So it will be very interesting to see what they say she is allergic too. I have my own ideas, it involves all grasses especially couch.

Thanks for all your insight FTPO!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thank the knowledgable ones like Zayda_Asher! :thumbsup:

Thanks! :love:

You have retained a hell of lot from reading your thread the last couple of days!

:rofl: good to hear it makes sense on the outside of my head... I'm always learning and revising what I know... there's so much out there to learn... For example I've recently stopped using the Grapefruit seed extract, as I've found studies that show it's probably just added preservatives that make for the antibacterial effect! (not listed on the labels I might add) :rofl:

Well this has been a very informative thread.

I have just had the bloods taken from my girl for the spot test. So it will be very interesting to see what they say she is allergic too. I have my own ideas, it involves all grasses especially couch.

Thanks for all your insight FTPO!

Good luck, let us know the results...

I do hope it helps though she is the least of my worries with allergies.

The cat who has severe reaction to most foods (inability to digest proteins or something like that), is now showing possible signs of allergic reactions to the limited food he can eat. Want to swap a cat for a while anyone????

The old saying "Some mothers do have them" is sooo starting to apply here.

That is a bugger about your cat Munchin :eek:

But no thank you as my cat has caused me enough grief for one year - she developed lumps under her dhin and ear and even with antibiotics for 7 days they doubled in size and I was thinking the awful c word. So she went under for a biopsy thingo which only revealed puss, so they opened up the areas and removal the abcesses. After she got home within an hour I realised she had escaped and was meiowing at the front door, thus I went seraching for how she was getting out and found a gap in the laundry recess that I never knew existed (nor did she for almost 3 yrs of living in this rental). She must have been getting out for a little while and may have gotten spliters in her chin from squeezing throught that hole :eek::laugh:

Edit - Like mother like son here too ZA - I am allergic to grasses, eucalyptus, mixed feathers, cats and dogs but at least Benson isn't allergic to Bella or we'd be screwed! :rofl:

Edited by First Time Puppy Owner

Yeah, I have allergies too... am allergic to some of the same things as my dogs and get itchy skin from the allergies too!! :):cheer:

I'm laughing at your cats ingenuity though... aren't they amazing? Pity it's resulted in vet bills and painful abscesses though! :):)

Yeah, I have allergies too... am allergic to some of the same things as my dogs and get itchy skin from the allergies too!! :):cheer:

I'm laughing at your cats ingenuity though... aren't they amazing? Pity it's resulted in vet bills and painful abscesses though! :):o

Weird how we are allergic to almost the same things as our dogs :( but I only get hayfever thankfully, not itchy skin, you poor thing :coffee:

I know :):coffee: I personally think she is the author of that story 'a day in a cat's life' - i.e. day 2015 of my captivity :cheer::coffee:

Update from last night - So we started the immunotherapy last night - but I can't give him the injections, because I could go into anaphylaxis if I accidently injected myself as we have such similar allergies so I have to take Benson to the vet every bl**dy Tuesday and Thursday for weeks and weeks. But I am hoping to come up with something to be able to either do it myself like welding gloves or see if i can get them moved to a closer vet as its such a painful drive in peak hour :thumbsup:

How weird! Do you have known anaphylactic reactions to anything? I wonder why they are worried... it's not like it's a big amount and the chance of anaphylaxis with the dogs is very low... Our derm never mentioned this to us and you would think it would be something they would check if it was that much of a risk (and she knows I have allergies). Maybe a second opinion on this issue wouldn't hurt... when I write to my derm I'm going to ask her for interest sake...

Well good luck with them anyway!

Sorry I didnt reply sooner!

FTPO - I use that Rufus and Coco medicated shampoo. It's the most gentle on Orb and he doesn't react to it at all.

That really sucks about not being able to administer the injections yourself! We're getting Orbit's injections ordered in this week so we'll start that when they come. Looking forward to hearing about your progress as you go through the injections. How was he after the first one? Any reactions?

That's funny that you guys both have allergies too, cause so do I. It's quite funny how similar Orbit and I are. I get hayfever all the time - pollens, hay, animals etc. And I am quite limited with what I can eat without getting an upset stomach (no dairy, gluten, too much sugar etc). So really, we both just need to live in a bubble together!

How weird! Do you have known anaphylactic reactions to anything? I wonder why they are worried... it's not like it's a big amount and the chance of anaphylaxis with the dogs is very low... Our derm never mentioned this to us and you would think it would be something they would check if it was that much of a risk (and she knows I have allergies). Maybe a second opinion on this issue wouldn't hurt... when I write to my derm I'm going to ask her for interest sake...

Well good luck with them anyway!

Really?!?! :cheer: Bugger me - off to google now!

And thank you! :thumbsup:

No worries Stormie! All good! :rofl: I ordered that shampoo and will be trying it this weekend :thumbsup:

Perhaps we need to start a bubble colony! :cheer: I wonder how many people with dogs that have allergies have allergies themselves?!?! :cheer:

Benson - Grasses, Eucalyptus, Mixed Feathers, Wheat, Tobacco.

Me - Grasses, Eucalyptus, Mixed Feathers, Cats, Dogs, And I think I should never have started smoking (previously asthmatic)

Edit - and no, no reactions, went to the park afterward and he seemed perfectly normal and then gave him his Atopica tabs later on and still nothing.

Best of luck with your injections too Stormie - perhaps we need to start a thread each monitoring the progress of the injections! Hey did you get an intradermal test done in the end or get a second Hesk (sp?) thingy one done again???

I am loving this thread, its great to see other people going through the same thing. Terrible arnt I.

As for allergies, yep I have them too. Pollen, dust mites and horses (rode them all my younger years though), and then there is all the food allergies, just like the cat.

Sorry to hear that you cant give the injections yourself. Have you got a neighbour that you trust enough? Or could you just get an epi pen to have next to you when you do it just in case?

How long does it usually take for you to get back the results from having the blood taken, I forgot to ask the vet.

I am loving this thread, its great to see other people going through the same thing. Terrible arnt I.

As for allergies, yep I have them too. Pollen, dust mites and horses (rode them all my younger years though), and then there is all the food allergies, just like the cat.

Sorry to hear that you cant give the injections yourself. Have you got a neighbour that you trust enough? Or could you just get an epi pen to have next to you when you do it just in case?

How long does it usually take for you to get back the results from having the blood taken, I forgot to ask the vet.

Munchin I think I got my SPOT results back within 2 weeks? Can't remember exactly though sorry, but I don't remember waiting too long.

Yep it's kind like getting a little support group going in this thread :)

I didn't get a blood test so sorry can help there, but if your concerned I would call them! :wave: So is it your cat that has the allergies that you're testing at the moment? :rofl:

Also will let you guys know how I go this evening re asking to be able to do the injections myself.