Funny Mal

beccaul

hi there,

i have an 18 week old malamute. did so much research before i got her( Nissa) and the general consensus was that they are fairly active!! she loves a run and waits for my girls to come home, loves playing with the cat. but she is really quiet and will choose to sit on her bed or under mine ( lucky i have a high bed!!). has any else got a quiet Mal? Im really not complaining i just want to make sure this is normal for a Mal. thanks

Welcome to DOL :)

When they are young Mals tend to be fairly quiet, having bursts of energy and then spending alot of time sleeping (or secretly destroying something) When your pup gets to about 6 months old and the need for a 'job to do' sets in is when the problems start - you will need to channel that new-found energy into something constructive otherwise you will find your house slowly being dissassembled :o

It also depends on the dog, mine are complete loonies if not exercised and worked, whereas I know others who are absolute couch potatoes! You will also find that when the dog matures at around 3-4 years that they will settle immensely and 'grow a brain'.

The need to get under your bed is a denning instinct - one of mine sleeps under the car, goodness knows how he gets under there! If you don't want your girl resting under your bed forever buy her a crate. I leave mine with the door open and a blanket over the top and this is the favourite resting place for my guys :)

Pop into the Spitz breed thread in the Breed SubForum, we'd love to have you come in for a chat and to show off pics of your mallie :)

Welcome to DOL :cheer:

When they are young Mals tend to be fairly quiet, having bursts of energy and then spending alot of time sleeping (or secretly destroying something) When your pup gets to about 6 months old and the need for a 'job to do' sets in is when the problems start - you will need to channel that new-found energy into something constructive otherwise you will find your house slowly being dissassembled :laugh:

It also depends on the dog, mine are complete loonies if not exercised and worked, whereas I know others who are absolute couch potatoes! You will also find that when the dog matures at around 3-4 years that they will settle immensely and 'grow a brain'.

The need to get under your bed is a denning instinct - one of mine sleeps under the car, goodness knows how he gets under there! If you don't want your girl resting under your bed forever buy her a crate. I leave mine with the door open and a blanket over the top and this is the favourite resting place for my guys :cheer:

Pop into the Spitz breed thread in the Breed SubForum, we'd love to have you come in for a chat and to show off pics of your mallie :eek:

thanks for that! i dont mind her under the bed ( except when i found her large bone under ther too :rofl: ) . we have started obedience training as she is going to be bigger than my last dogs and i dont want to be taken for a walk!! when shes older i would like to maybe get into sled pulling or some such activity. any info on that would be greatly apprieciated. thanks