Another Allergy Thread

You need to cook the sweet potato and then mash it otherwise it doesn't get properly digested. (My staffie is on camel & sweet potato).

We also give him an antihistamine: cetrizine hydrochloride 10mg (c-zine) + fish oil caps (which help the efficacy of the antihistamine).

We were also advised to get rid of any foam bedding so Sam sleeps on a couple of towels in his bed and has towels in his kennel. I wash the towels weekly and put eucalyptus oil in the final rinse. This was to reduce the incidence of dust mites.

Thanks SJ - I think mum has cooked the SP so it mashes easily into the roo meat.

I spoke to mum this morning and she said Cherry is like a new dog since she's had the cortisone injection, she is running around and VERY happy, her skin is noticecably less red and she isn't itching. I'm glad she's had some relief as long as we can keep it up!

Edited by huski

• 3 weeks later...

Just bumping this up to update you all :thumbsup:

The vet recommended waiting and seeing how she went on the cortisone before changing her diet, she was itching again within a max of two weeks from the shot. I put her on the elimination diet and no itching or scratching at the moment. She's on roo meat and sweet potato. She didn't like the roo meat at first (I think it was the texture) but she's chowing it down now. Hopefully the non-itchiness will continue for another month or so and we can see where to go from there.

Just bumping this up to update you all :(

The vet recommended waiting and seeing how she went on the cortisone before changing her diet, she was itching again within a max of two weeks from the shot. I put her on the elimination diet and no itching or scratching at the moment. She's on roo meat and sweet potato. She didn't like the roo meat at first (I think it was the texture) but she's chowing it down now. Hopefully the non-itchiness will continue for another month or so and we can see where to go from there.

Awesome! sounds like the elimination diet is working :thumbsup:

Poor Cherry - you know what would help? More pictures!!!

How very persuasive Shell :(:rofl:

Will try and take some tomorrow :D

Laffi - fingers crossed, it's hard to tell because she has had the cortisone and wasn't biting/itching to her usual full extent when she started after the shot. So I'm just hoping it really is working and it's not just the last effects of the shot. We shall see how she goes over the next few weeks but looking good so far :thumbsup:

Hmmm I do have one query. Cherry has just vomited up a little bit of red meat coloured vomit, for the third time in the last two days. I thought initially that it was because she was eating too quickly because the last two vomits were not long after she'd eaten but she's just vomited up a small watery amount and she hasn't eaten in five hours or so. Any ideas as to what could be causing this??

She has been prone to vomiting in the past, usually it is clear or white.