Junior Activities

Hi,

I have two daughters - 11 & 8, both very much doggy people. My 11 yr old is learning Junior Handling with our Mini Schnauzer at the moment, but my 8 yr old wants to do obedience or agility or something more active with our Border Collie (who is aobut 2yrs old). They have a close bond and she teaches her tricks in the back yard, but she wants to find something she can compete in. Is Junior Handling for Showing the only activity for juniors? I did see that Obedience Clubs usually say that a child must be 12 to handle the dog, is it the same for agility? What about Dancing? Our BC is not for show, and she really wants to do something with her. We are in Yass NSW close enough to Canberra to attend anything suggested.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

:thumbsup:

My 10 year old daughter has competed a few times in agility. We thought she had to wait until she was 12, but I called DogsNSW & they confirmed she is able to compete under my membership until she is 12.

Different clubs will have different rules about allowing juniors to train. It is best to ring a few and ask what their rules are. Personally I think it's a bit silly that a child is allowed to trial but some clubs will not allow them to train.

Best of luck to your daughters. It is great for them to be able to join in and we are finding people so incredibly supportive :thumbsup: .

Here is video of my daughter running my dog about a month ago. This was her first clear round in ANKC and they came 2nd place out of a class of 58 dogs!!! I am so proud of both of them :thumbsup: .

We are in Yass NSW close enough to Canberra to attend anything suggested.

I was going to suggest something based on the state you have listed in your profile but then got to this bit ^

If you get a chance, make your state correct to help others help you. :thumbsup:

Vickie, I just watched that clip - how adorable! I can't wait to show Matilda when she gets home. The juniors will have to all get together online and share their clips, I'm sure they'd love that.

Thanks for the advice I will hunt around to find a club that will let her train, I figure if she does some tag training with my husband (that lets me work on the showing with my other daughter) then they might not mind, or maybe if my husband puts the dog through obedience with them first they may allow Matilda to step in later. All else failing, we have a big enough yard up the back to set up a small training field for her! I'm sure she will do well, she loves the dog (and its returned) and is very assertive and calm when training.

Just to clarify my state, I am in country NSW (Yass) not far from the border of ACT, so can easily travel into Canberra, or out to Golbourn etc.

Cheers

Charmaine

Too bad you didn't ask this question a month ago Charmaine...that run was at the Goulburn trial in May...you guys could have come along & watched, it would have been fun for them to meet, they sound like kindred spirits.

I think there are 3 clubs in Canberra. Hopefully FHRP or Poodlefan will read this thread as they will know whether children are allowed to train at any of them. There is also a club in Wagga, they hold a couple of trials a year but I am not sure whether they meet weekly for training or not and I'm pretty sure that at this stage Goulburn does not meet, although they also run a trial each year.

I will see what I can find out for you about Wagga & Goulburn.

Edited by Vickie

Thanks TSD :) She has been running the dogs over obstacles in the backyard since she was 5, so it's great that she can have a go at trials. Next step will be to get her a dog she can train herself from scratch.

Pity she didn't have the same energy to clean her room :) .

Thanks TSD :rofl: She has been running the dogs over obstacles in the backyard since she was 5, so it's great that she can have a go at trials. Next step will be to get her a dog she can train herself from scratch.

Pity she didn't have the same energy to clean her room :thumbsup: .

Thanks for that, Today I am actually making a make shift obstacle course in a yard we have up the back, Matilda will wet herself when she gets home. Having two young girls I am not even going to comment on the room situation, but know I feel your pain.

I've decided if the clubs near here won't let her train the dog with them, she can still watch her dad train (he's not that keen but he'll get over it) and practice at home. I think they would let her after a while if she proves herself - it's probably got more to do with insurance coverage.

When we used to live in Wynnum Brisbane, we had a wonderful local dog park that had all the agility training equipment, we were a bit spoilt. Still, we have space here, so if I build it... the dog will come (hopefully).

Cheers

Too bad you didn't ask this question a month ago Charmaine...that run was at the Goulburn trial in May...you guys could have come along & watched, it would have been fun for them to meet, they sound like kindred spirits.

I think there are 3 clubs in Canberra. Hopefully FHRP or Poodlefan will read this thread as they will know whether children are allowed to train at any of them. There is also a club in Wagga, they hold a couple of trials a year but I am not sure whether they meet weekly for training or not and I'm pretty sure that at this stage Goulburn does not meet, although they also run a trial each year.

I will see what I can find out for you about Wagga & Goulburn.

I can only comment on the ACT Companion Dog Club (Narrabundah) policy. We don't accept children as handlers under the age of 11.

Whilst there may be exceptional kids under that age, that policy is based on the view that most young children lack the patience to train well. Having been in classes with some junior handlers, I'm inclined to agree. Personally I'd like to see a youngster paired with a more experienced dog that already has some training. It can be very frustrating getting good basic skills on a dog. You don't teach kids to show jump by starting them on green ponies!

Edited by poodlefan

Just out of curiosity PF, is that only for training at the club? Will there be a problem if I ever enter a CDC trial for Chloe to run?

Only for training Vickie. If the Dogs ACT rules allow younger handlers that won't be a problem. We've had a few youngsters have a go at courses in the past - usually with very experienced dogs.

:thumbsup: maybe when it warms up a little.

Oh BTW, we met your Howard at Goulburn. He is :thumbsup: GORGEOUS!!!!. He was very sweet with my kids. It seems after meeting him, Chloe has now added whippet to her list of potential dogs.

sorry to go off topic Hotdoggy :rofl: .

:laugh: maybe when it warms up a little.

Oh BTW, we met your Howard at Goulburn. He is :rofl: GORGEOUS!!!!. He was very sweet with my kids. It seems after meeting him, Chloe has now added whippet to her list of potential dogs.

sorry to go off topic Hotdoggy :rolleyes: .

I love it when my dogs have social lives away from me. :thumbsup: FHRP did tell me Howie had a very good time, he loves everyone - dog and human. Whippets are starting to appear more regularly in agility - Chloe could do worse. :laugh: They've got the speed and athleticism.. but focussing that hound brain will no doubt have its challenges. :thumbsup: Still zoomies in the ring are good for spectator amusement.

Sorry for thread hijack.. back to the topic. :laugh:

Edited by poodlefan

Whippets are starting to appear more regularly in agility - Chloe could do worse. :laugh: They've got the speed and athleticism..

I know! My only problem with us getting a whippet is that then I would NEVER be able to convince all the people that refuse to believe my BC's are not whippet crosses :thumbsup::rofl::thumbsup:

Sorry for thread hijack.. back to the topic. :rolleyes:

yep :laugh:

I can only comment on the ACT Companion Dog Club (Narrabundah) policy. We don't accept children as handlers under the age of 11.

Whilst there may be exceptional kids under that age, that policy is based on the view that most young children lack the patience to train well. Having been in classes with some junior handlers, I'm inclined to agree. Personally I'd like to see a youngster paired with a more experienced dog that already has some training. It can be very frustrating getting good basic skills on a dog. You don't teach kids to show jump by starting them on green ponies!

Thanks for clarifying poodlefan,

I can see the point and have suggested to the two that My husband trains at the club and Matilda watches and then trains at home. The dog she will work with is more her dog (we have three dogs but those two just seem to belong to eachother) and will do anything Matilda asks. Matilda is just looking for an activity that she can take part in, this afternoon she had a practice on the poles I set up (I tried making a ramp but it was a bit dodgy, so I'll see if I can find some agility equipt to buy online), then she practices showing (even though we won't be showing Zoe). Once the dog is trained at basic obedience and agility, then I would like to see Matilda able to join in as she wants to do something active with her dog.

Cheers

And Matilda did love the set up - even though there's really only the poles operational at this stage and apparently I am 'the best mum in the world' (I did wonder)

And Matilda did love the set up - even though there's really only the poles operational at this stage and apparently I am 'the best mum in the world' (I did wonder)

:) That's so cool. I'm glad she appreciated it. She is going to have so much fun. You will have to take video for us one day.

Thanks for clarifying poodlefan,

I can see the point and have suggested to the two that My husband trains at the club and Matilda watches and then trains at home. The dog she will work with is more her dog (we have three dogs but those two just seem to belong to eachother) and will do anything Matilda asks. Matilda is just looking for an activity that she can take part in, this afternoon she had a practice on the poles I set up (I tried making a ramp but it was a bit dodgy, so I'll see if I can find some agility equipt to buy online), then she practices showing (even though we won't be showing Zoe). Once the dog is trained at basic obedience and agility, then I would like to see Matilda able to join in as she wants to do something active with her dog.

Cheers

She'll be 11 in no time and ready to train. Belconnen would be 20 minutes closer to you than CDC (its at Mitchell) but CDC is the largest agility club. Gee I wish I'd started doing agility training as a kid.. such an advantage to be active in the sport as a youngster. :)