Basenji

Troy

I have always quite liked the look of these dogsbut dont know a great deal about them,this is a great thread.

One of the things I have heard is that they can be unstable around people,well different people,people out of its own back yard so to speak.Is there any truth to this?

Have to agree with Chocolate on this count – my current Basenjis are very social with people visiting (sometimes they snuggle in a bit too close for the comfort of non-doggy people) although both are indifferent to people when we're out walking/in the park because they have so many interesting things to sniff, watch, chase, etc.

Rajacadoo has hit the nail on the head regarding basenjis getting excited about some people for no apparent reason. My previous basenjis and the current two have all shown a preference for different friends who visit. Some they turn themselves inside out for (helicopter curly tails) while others they simply greet, sniff, sit next to but that's the extent of it. One friend who knew the previous two and the current two has rated consistently highly with all my basenjis - she must smell just right :thumbsup: