Lupis

Hi Just wondering if anyone has advise on treating Discoid Lupis. I am interested to know if there are many border collie's effected with this. Also, if people have had it a genetic reacurance when breeding. Will be grateful for any help

Discoid Lupus is sometimes also referred to as "Collie nose" as it is prevalent in Collie type breeds.

If treatment is needed an Immunologist is the best place to start. A lot of people give their dogs 500IU Capsules on Vitamin E a day as this helps to restore the black pigment on the nose.Some also put Vit E cram on the dogs nose.(best to do that bit just before you feed them so then it has time to sink in whilst they are eating). Some people even have the dogs nose tattoed( ouch!).

Lupus- both forms, is usually inherited( note I said Usually inherites) and as far as I know there is not a DNA Test for it as yet.

Hi Just wondering if anyone has advise on treating Discoid Lupis. I am interested to know if there are many border collie's effected with this. Also, if people have had it a genetic reacurance when breeding. Will be grateful for any help

Definitely not common in Border Collies. I have been involved with Borders for 26 years including over 20 years on the hereditary diseases sub- committiee of the BCC of NSW and have never heard of a Border with discoid lupis. Having said that it is always possible for rare recessive genetic conditions to crop up at any time but if it is not carried by dogs used extensively for breeding it will never become a breed problem. Remember all dogs of all breeds carry faulty genetic traits but most need to meet up with similar genes in breeding partners in order to create a problem.

Panda has had Discoid LupUs, here is a link to a previous thread http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...l=Discoid+Lupus.

Concerning the genetic question, it could be recessive.

I have Panda's mother, sister, his nieces; great niece and nephew and none have shown any signs of DLE, nor has he had any recurring symptoms since 2004 :laugh:

I've seen cases of DLE in a few Border Collies, but also other breeds like Labs, Golden Retrievers and even a lip lesion in a Silky Terrier.

I have had reasonably good success treating it without using steroids, with the exception of occasional topical treatments.

I've seen cases of DLE in a few Border Collies, but also other breeds like Labs, Golden Retrievers and even a lip lesion in a Silky Terrier.

I have had reasonably good success treating it without using steroids, with the exception of occasional topical treatments.

Thankyou everyone for your advise, I am presently listing all treatments everyone has listed and see which one helps. Looking for natural treatments if possible.

Dancinbcs

I have seen numerous BC's here in Qld with Lupus. And my first one i saw was my vets BC 8 years ago. All have been confirmed and most have been owned by Pet people who have not passed on that information to breed clubs as they are not members or have no connections to do so.

Asics case of Lupus was actually very bad and he was on all sorts of meds and was not allowed to run so my old boy Zac became her running partner.