Puppy Weeing On Deck

bax09

Hi there, Having a wee problem ('scuse the pun) with our puppy, who is 12 weeks. He is great going to the toilet in the right spot (on the grass) if we are outside with him. But, has taking to peeing on the deck instead of the grass if he is outside by himself. He has access to the grass at all times, except if we are out he is on the deck or in his crate.

At night when he is in his crate, he is good and lets us know when he needs to go. So that doesn't seem to be a problem. Occassionally he has peed in his crate, if he was in there for an hour or so during the day, even if he had just gone to the toilet, which is why we have been leaving him on the deck (easier to clean up)!?

I am praising him when he does go in the right spot. And I like that he has access to outside rather than being in his crate too much. Does anyone have any helpful suggestions....or is it just a time and patience issue. How long does it take for a pup to be toilet trained on average!?

Also, what product should I use to clean up his messes. I have Tried vinegar and also an enzyme based detergent, but it doesn't seem to stop him from going in the same spot.

Thanks in advance.

I have Tried vinegar and also an enzyme based detergent, but it doesn't seem to stop him from going in the same spot.

It needs to be an enzyme-based cleaner used according to the instructions. I would imagine that a timber deck may require more than one or two applications, but I don't really know the answer to that one.

Is his crate appropriately sized? It is very unusual for a pup to go in his crate unless forced to, if the crate is the correct size.

There are average times for house-training, but these aren't applicable to an individual pup. Just do the best you can to avoid accidents and reinforce good habits and you will get there.

I have Tried vinegar and also an enzyme based detergent, but it doesn't seem to stop him from going in the same spot.

It needs to be an enzyme-based cleaner used according to the instructions. I would imagine that a timber deck may require more than one or two applications, but I don't really know the answer to that one.

Is his crate appropriately sized? It is very unusual for a pup to go in his crate unless forced to, if the crate is the correct size.

There are average times for house-training, but these aren't applicable to an individual pup. Just do the best you can to avoid accidents and reinforce good habits and you will get there.

Thanks for your reply. I will invest in an ppropriate cleaner. Any suggestioins